10 Classic Movies To Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Another year, another Valentine’s day. Another reason to celebrate or another reminder that you’re single. With everyone in lockdown this year and conducting their dates via zoom/Netflix party, hopefully these movies will make you feel less isolated and alone regardless of your relationship status.

Me Before You

Based on the novel by Jojo Moyes, Emilia Clarke and Sam Clafin bring to life this heartbreaking romantic tragedy. After becoming unemployed, Louisa Clark becomes the caretaker of Will Traynor, a paralysed man. The dialogue and chemistry between these two very different characters is sure to leave you wanting more.

The Spectacular Now

Oh the exciting thrill that is one’s first love. As they’re falling in love, high school seniors Aimee (Shailene Woodley) and Sutter (Miles Teller) also face down the reality that their lives are about to change forever.

Love Jones 

Poetry is the language of love in this epic black love story. An aspiring writer and photographer, share an instant connection after a chance meeting at a Chicago club. The two bond over music, photography and poetry, and eventually begin a torrid romance. 

The Longest Ride 

Love is about sacrifice, or at least that’s what the central theme of this movie is, the title itself alludes to the fact that love/relationships is ‘The Longest Ride’. Based on the Nicholas Sparks novel, this movie tells the story of young lovers whose travails have parallels to that of a World War II couple. 

10 Things I Hate About You

If you love strong heroines and brooding bad boys who turn out to be not-so-bad after all, then this classic is for you. It’s beloved for the chemistry and comedic wit between Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles.

Ever-After: A Cinderella Story

If you like your love stories with a dash of fairytale then this is the movie for you. Although unlike the classic, Danielle (Drew Barrymore) is anything but a damsel in distress, in fact she rescues Prince Charming in this beautiful retelling. 

Gone Girl

For those of you who are more cynical and would prefer not to have disgustingly happy couples thrown in your face, this adaptation of the best-selling book by Gillian Flynn is perfect for you. Featuring a marriage that appears to be perfect on the outside, but has deep cracks beneath the surface. This movie will make you glad that you are far away from anything resembling a relationship.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

While romantic love is great in its own right, this time of year shows very little appreciation for our other great love: the friends that get us through it all. Four girls find a pair of jeans that seemingly flatters their different body types and decide to pass them around during their summer apart from each other. It does a great job of highlighting the fact that life may not always go your way but surrounding yourself with great girlfriends will surely help you get through it.

Girls Trip

An ode to pre-covid times, this movie will definitely make you long for the days of group holidays and crazy party weekends. This movie will have you crying with laughter while also celebrating the importance of female friendships in an emotional and real way. 

The Notebook

Of course Valentine’s day wouldn’t be Valentine’s day without this achingly tender story about the enduring power of love. Based on Nicholas Sparks’s novel with the same name. A young and affluent socialite Allie Calhoun (Rachel McAdams) meets a charming and poor Noah (Ryan Gosling) one summer, developing a bond that surpasses obstacles such as time and illness. 

So whether you are happily in a relationship, painfully single and wishing you weren’t or just plain anti-valentine there is a movie for everybody this Valentine’s day.

Law graduate at DCU.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!