Style > Beauty

10 Best Beauty Buys for students under €10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As a student and somebody who enjoys watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, I can’t always afford the products I see online. However, there’s so many affordable options available at pharmacies nationwide that are good quality products without breaking the bank! Here are my 10 best beauty buys for under a tenner. 

1. Primer 

I was the last one to jump on the primer band wagon thinking it was an extra product that doesn’t do a whole lot. But I can admit I was wrong and now it’s part of daily makeup routine. A good primer can moisturise or mattify depending on your skin type, reduce the appearance of pores and make your foundation go on smoothly and last longer. My personal favourite for a long time now is the Catrice’s Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner available at Penney’s for around €6.  

2.Foundation  

There are so many good options for affordable foundations at the moment as brands like L’Oreal and Maybelline are upping the standards. If you can get your hands on it, the best foundation that won’t hurt your purse is Wet’n’Wilds Photofocus foundation available at Dunnes Stores for €6.95. It’s medium to buildable coverage while still looking natural.  

3. Concealer 

My personal all-time favourite concealer is Maybelline’s Age Rewind available at Boots and other pharmacies nationwide for a little over a tenner. However, if that’s too steep for your student budget or the shade range doesn’t suit you, (the light shade really isn’t light enough), then I would also recommend Collection’s lasting perfection concealer available at Boots for only €4.99. Just don’t forget to set it with powder to avoid creasing! 

4. Eyeliner 

You really don’t have to spend a fortune to find a good eyeliner. Essence does an excellent liquid ink eyeliner available for a little over €3 and it has a fine tip for precision as well as being budge proof all day once it’s on. 

5. Mascara 

Speaking of Essence cosmetics, they have really upped the standard for affordable mascara. I LOVE their ‘The False Lashes’ mascara. It claims to be volumising but I think it’s better for lengthening and keeping that curl as well as separating lashes. It retails at €3.50 and at that price how could you really go wrong? 

6. Setting powder 

An absolute staple to set your face, especially for us oily gals, is Rimmel’s Stay Matte pressed powder. The formula is just right to keep your face shine free without looking cakey and it’s only €5.99 at Boots. 

7. Contour kit 

The contouring trend is alive and well but I go for a more natural look with contour powders for subtle but chiseled cheekbones. My favourite is a duo powder contouring kit from the brand Seventeen. I use the light side in the ‘Define and Conquer’ contouring kit to set the concealer under my eyes and the darker powder just under my cheekbones to add a little definition to the face. Get it for €8.50 at Boots. 

8. Highlight 

Highlighters are everywhere at the moment and as much as I like a subtle glow I can appreciate a beautiful pop of highlight on top of the cheekbones. The MegaGlo highlighter from Wet’n’Wild is absolutely stunning. It’s a beautiful golden colour that can be seen from space and the best part is it’s an absolute steal at €3.99! Seventeen’s Shimmer bricks are fab too and a dead ringer for Bobbi Brown’s shimmer bricks but at a fraction of the cost for around €6. However, this glow is a little subtler than the Wet n Wild one. 

9. Brows  

If I’m completely honest I’m a huge fan of Benefit’s brow products, they just can’t be beaten but at their price point, I try to use them only for special occasions. For day to day makeup Rimmel London has come out with a ‘Brow this Way’ eyebrow kit that includes wax and powder and looks great! The shade range isn’t suited to everyone but if you have got the right brow colour to suit this product I would definitely recommend giving it a go for only €5.50 at Boots. 

10. Lipstick 

If you’re into liquid lipsticks I would recommend Nyx’s liquid lip lingerie available at Boots for €9 or Wet’n’Wild’s Liquid Catsuit available at Dunnes Stores for around €5 which are smooth and stunning. I love We’n’Wild’s MegaLast lipsticks for those that aren’t into the whole liquid lip trend or are looking for something a little more natural. 

Now there’s no excuse not to look flawless! These are my favourite affordable finds at the moment and with the high-quality nature of these products I’m always on the lookout for more product launches of affordable brands. 

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.