Your Guide to Last-Minute Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

We are rapidly approaching the season of giving. But, we are also deep in the midst of the season of finals and cramming a semester’s worth of work into one week and figuring out how you’re gonna get your teacher to round your 24.5% up to a 90% and praying that your 10-page research paper can write itself. Basically, we’ve all got a lot on our plates this time of year. Getting the perfect gift for your loved ones probably slipped your mind while you were staying up until 4 a.m. every morning studying for your exams. Have no fear. Like you, I have procrastinated everything this semester, including gift shopping. And so, I present to you my best gift giving hacks for when you’re on a serious time crunch:

1. Make a list

Lists are perfect. They are a reminder of what you still need to do, who you still need to buy for, and what gift would be perfect for which friend. Make a list, check it twice, and make your last-minute shopping experience just a little bit less stressful.

2. Food

I’ve never met a person (especially a broke and hungry college student) who doesn’t love food. So, for that hard-to-shop-for friend, buy them some cookies or, even better, send them a care package full of food!

3. Gift Cards

Even though I always forget I have a gift card to **insert expensive store name,** I still love getting free money to spend on clothes and makeup that I wouldn’t buy myself. Gift cards are the perfect way to say, “I know you love shopping, I know you hate spending your own money, here’s the perfect solution!’

4. Resturant Gift Cards

What’s better than food? What’s better than gift cards? A combination of the two! Restaurant gift cards are perfect for the person who’s always hungry but always broke.

5. Same Day Delivery

Same day delivery is a game changer! For that person you forgot to put on your list, forgot to shop for, and now only have 24 hours to buy a gift for, same day delivery is a miracle. In certain cities, stores like Bloomingdale’s, Barnes & Noble, and Macy’s have same day delivery (for a more comprehensive list, look here).

6. Amazon Prime

If you don’t have Amazon Prime, what are you doing? Have you been living under a rock? Amazon Prime is, in my opinion, the greatest invention of this century. Free two-day shipping for tons of purchases, unlimited streaming of Prime movies and videos, and groceries shipped to your door with Prime Pantry. What could be better? Do yourself a favor and sign up for Prime–you will relieve boatloads of stress by being able to shop for gifts online and have them shipped to the recipient for free in two days!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

SaveSave