For Women Seeking Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

It’s no surprise that students, upon coming to college, are likely to become or continue to be sexually active. And while there are of course exceptions to this, it is very important, I believe, to provide some general information on how students can obtain both birth control and contraceptives on campus. As a disclaimer, I am not a medical professional and if you are seeking legitimate medical advice, you should visit the health center or another qualified health professional for further, and more importantly individual, information regarding birth control.

That being said, I’ve met a lot of girls who want to begin birth control upon entering college. For either family reasons or other circumstantial ones, students may often be afraid of judgement or repercussion when thinking of beginning birth control. They worry their parents may find out and immediately jump to the conclusion that their daughter is embroiled in some “sordid” sexual activity. And while I won’t, for the sake of space, detail in full why this attitude is toxic toward women seeking sexual protection (because it is), I will say it’s ultimately counterproductive.  

First and foremost, a woman seeking birth control may be doing so for many reasons, regardless of whether or not she is sexually active. Acne, irregular periods and/or hormones, and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) all can be mitigated with birth control in certain cases. Secondly, even if said birth control is being used for its intended purpose as a barrier to pregnancy, a woman should not be made to feel stigmatized and shamed for her active decision to protect her body.

Again and again, I hear girls on campus nervously wondering whether or not they should start birth control. Worrying whether or not their mothers will find out, whether they’ll be treated with a glaring eye upon inquiring for it, etc. So here quickly are some fast facts to hopefully spread awareness about how to obtain birth control without any shame involved.

1. Your parents won’t be told

As a college student, you’re most likely a legal adult. This means that your parents are not privy to your medical history hereafter. They may be paying for it, but they certainly will not find about it against your own volition.

2. Cost

For the moment, Planned Parenthood remains funded. If cost is a barrier for you to obtain birth control, Planned Parenthood (the nearest to us is in Charlotte) can offer you pricing adjustments based on your need.

3. Condoms

Ok, so we all know that there are likely more condoms on campus than there are people here. [Editor’s note: There are certainly more condoms available in bathrooms than tampons. But we’ll save that for another article.] They’re quite literally everywhere. You can grab a handful from the RLO office, a residential bathroom usually packs a few (in the first aid cabinet), and to reiterate, Planned Parenthood often has a litany of free condoms.

4. Forms and Functions of Birth Control

There are many different kinds of birth control. If you feel that taking the pill isn’t right for you after speaking to a medical professional, you may find that other forms of contraception such as pregnancy prevention patches, IUDS, Nuvarings, and Depo-Provera injections can all be used as long-term and short-term methods of birth control. Each, of course, like the pill, comes with its own side effects and symptoms, all of which should be addressed by a medical practitioner on or off campus.

5. The Health Center

You’ve likely been there to get tested for the flu. The Health Center is just up the hill past Richardson Hall. They house free condoms and can prescribe you several types of birth control. There should be no reason to feel embarrassed here. It is a safe, welcoming environment, and trust me, they get many inquiries regarding birth control. Contact information listed below.

To make an appointment for health services, call 704-894-2300 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. All physicals and routine gynecological exams with physicians must be scheduled ahead of time. Physician appointments are available Monday through Friday, 1:30-4:30 p.m., though physicals and gynecological exams are not performed on Mondays.

For more information, visit https://www.davidson.edu/student-life/health-and-counseling.

6. Whether you choose to have sex in college or not, is entirely dependent on you and what you want to do with your body.

I’ve simply provided you with the fast facts to aid you in your attempt to protect and care for your body. All serious inquiries regarding the use of birth control should again be addressed to a certified medical professional. Stay safe, stay protected, stay smiling!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Monday at 8 p.m. in Chambers 1003.