Why DavidsonIE Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Students of Davidson, there’s a new department on campus, and it’s a place we should all spend some time in: Davidson’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative. Davidson I&E is dubbed with the task of “reimagining the liberal arts for the 21st century.” That’s a pretty big goal and you’re probably wondering how this department could ever help or have any impact on you. Well that’s what I’m here for: to break down and explain what Davidson I&E is and why you want to know about it. 

DavidsonIE is an initiative that brings programs, events, and resources to students. The goal is to connect our wildly talented student body to the outlets they need to foster their innovative and entrepreneurial spirits. This summer Davidson hired Hannah Levinson to be our very first Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship.

Hannah, our fearless leader 

Ever since she graduated from UNC Charlotte with a Master’s in Ethics and Applied Philosophy, Hannah has been on the move to bring together “education and work in the innovation economy.” She has served as a Global Shaper with the World Economic Forum’s Charlotte hub and is a founding board member of Girls Rock Charlotte. Hannah has big goals for the Davidson I&E Initiative… without further ado: here are her thoughts on why Davidson I&E matters:

“Davidson’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative exists to prepare Davidson students to lead and innovate in a rapidly changing world,” Hannah said. “My charge is to build a premier initiative that reimagines liberal arts education and maximizes the singular value it offers students graduating into the innovation economy. I support students’ innovative and entrepreneurial explorations, collaborate with students, faculty and staff across the college, and build partnerships with an international community of industry, alumni, and community stakeholders.”

As a student member of the program, I’m excited to work with the diverse group of Davidson students who are getting involved in the entrepreneurial world. In its early stages, the program is growing rapidly.

“This year, we are working together to make #DavidsonIE a household name at the college — to make sure every Davidson student knows about the opportunities #DavidsonIE provides through its programs, internships, accelerators, grants, investment and mentorship,” Hannah said. “#DavidsonIE also documents and supports innovation on campus, advises and strengthens the Initiative, and has the space to pilot innovative and entrepreneurial projects they want to see at Davidson.”

Students already working with the Initiative report high levels of interest in furthering their entrepreneurial education.

“DavidsonIE is important because it fosters creative thinking and galvanizes students to take their novel ideas to the next level,” senior Katy Weinberg said. “This is especially important because adaptability is key in today’s job market, and career paths are no longer linear.” 

Junior Adam Green emphasized how entrepreneurship and a liberal arts education go hand-in-hand.

“The liberal arts and entrepreneurship are often presented as opposing forces of theory and its applications, but they are certainly not fundamentally opposed, and they readily supplement one another,” he said. “In essence, I look at liberal arts and entrepreneurship as complementary forces to achieve a similar end–to not blindly follow the rites of passage into professional life, but to pave a path all your own in a rapidly-changing world.”

You don’t need to have a groundbreaking idea to come see the folks at DavidsonIE. Your creative spirit and a willingness to work is plenty to give you meaningful experiences at any or all of our events. Look for us around campus or come to our office at Jackson Court #1. Interested in learning about the DavidsonIE events coming this fall? Check HerCampus next week for a breakdown of the initiatives’ upcoming events! And in the meantime, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay in the loop about all thing DavidsonIE.