What It’s Like Listening to 1989, as Told by Taylor Swift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

*Disclaimer: I love Taylor Swift.  She has been there for me through happy times and heartbreak, and her not-so-subtle lyrics and dorky dancing only make me love her more.  So please take note that I write this article with an extreme bias towards T Swift.

Taylor Swift’s much-anticipated fifth album 1989 is everything that I wanted and more.  I’m all over it, more so than Meredith is all over Taylor in this gif:

Here’s how I felt while listening to this album, as told by T Swift herself:

Track 1: Welcome To New York

I’m pretty sure New York has been waiting for ME.  Thanks Tay.

Track 2: Blank Space

Hands down my favorite song on the album.  Taylor embraces her sometimes not-so-kind reputation and makes fun of herself.

Track 3: Style 

First mention of red lips on the album.  This is important.  Right Harry Styles?

Track 4: Out of the Woods

Really, Taylor?  Back to back songs about Harry?  You’re lucky it’s so catchy, even after listening to it 400 times in a row.

Track 5: All You Had To Do Was Stay

Sorry, bud.  All you had to do was stay, see how simple that is?  Too late now.  Bye Felicia.

Track 6: Shake It Off

A perk of living at F is that I learned every word to this song only a few days into the school year (update: even today I still love it).

Track 7: I Wish You Would

We all have some regrets and words we wish we could say, whether to past relationships or to the Union workers when we realize we actually did want a whole quesadilla.

Track 8: Bad Blood

This song makes me want to scrunch up my nose in disgust and throw animal crackers at people who have wronged me.

Track 9: Wildest Dreams

This is the most Lana Del Rey-esque song on the album, and I dig it.  It makes me want to either float on clouds or sit on top of Commons and really contemplate life.

Track 10: How You Get the Girl

This is a fun poppy song about, wait, is this song about T Swift forgiving a guy?  Whaaaat?

Track 11: This Love

This song elicits a lot of feelings in a quiet, sweet, calming way.  It’s growing on me.

Track 12: I Know Places

This song makes me feel like something bad is about to happen, and I’m so into it.

Track 13: Clean

YES TAYLOR YES YOU DON’T NEED ANYONE BUT YOU.

If you see me around campus, I’d love to discuss Taylor Swift’s newest gift to us for a few hours minutes.  We love you Tay!

Just your average twenty-something from North Carolina, "studying" political science at Davidson College, laughing at her own jokes, and trying desperately to become the next Tina Fey.