Voting in North Carolina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

So you’ve registered to vote?

Ok great… now to make sure you know how to exercise your right!

1. Make sure your registration went through by using this link to check your voter registration status.  You can also get the address of your polling place here, but for Davidson students it is: Davidson Town Hall- Meeting Room 216, S Main St Davidson, NC 28036.

2. If you are from North Carolina and have a North Carolina driver’s license, bring that to the polling place with you.

3. If you are not from North Carolina/don’t have a North Carolina license and have registered within the last 90 days, you can bring a license from another state. However, if you do not have a license or have registered more than 90 days prior to voting, you can still vote provisionally at the polls. You’ll just have to fill out a Reasonable Impediment Form. This is a form you ask for at the polling place–you do not fill it out beforehand. This will allow you to vote without an ID, provided you do the following:

a. Provide the pollster with your date of birth and the last four digits of your social security number.

b. Fill out the form explaining your reasonable impediment to obtaining an ID. We recommend checking off ‘busy work schedule’ (looking at you, Davidson workload!) and/or ‘lack of transportation’ if you do not have a car on campus. Your vote will go through if you do this–they are not allowed to judge the validity of your impediment.

4. There are ways to vote other than on election day, if you know you will be busy. Check out this information on absentee voting, or head over to Cornelius for early voting. Dates can be found here.

That’s it! If you have any questions, feel free to email brlavender@davidson.edu.

Happy voting!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.