Upcoming Events for Consent Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Sexual Assault is a huge issue on college campuses everywhere, and it makes events like consent week absolutely crucial. This week, April 18-21st, Davidson’s Rape Awareness Committee is sponsoring a series of events to talk about sex, sexual assault, gender norms, and much much more. Please consider checking out one of these events:

Monday, April 18

Take Back the Night, 900 Room, 7-9 p.m. There will be free pizza and snacks.

For those of you who do not know, Take Back the Night is an open mic night for survivors, secondary survivors (those who have been close to someone assaulted), and anyone with a connection to sexual assault or misconduct that they want to come speak about. As the night goes on momentum builds, and people inspire each other to come up and speak. Even for those who don’t speak, it is a shared, safe space to know you are not alone.

Going along with Take Back the Night is the RAC sponsored community art project on the wall by the Union Café. It is a wall of empowerment, designed to remind people of what gives them strength—whether it is religion, friends and family, certain traits, or food.

Tuesday, April 19

The Mask You Live In, 4:30 p.m., Sprinkle Room

A screening of a documentary on the toxicity of masculinity and how it affects people’s lives. An excellent watch not just for how it pertains to consent, but also for how it pertains to many other things. Check out the trailer here.

Wednesday, April 20

SexEd Trivia, 7 p.m., Nummit

Emceed by MBB and Alexis Kaminski. Need we say more? Seriously though: all your sex questions answered in trivia form.

Thursday April 21

International perspectives on sexual assault fair, Union Atrium

There will be representations from 8 different countries, with boards set up with information on things like movements, what consent is in different countries, etc.

Consider attending some of these wonderful events RAC is hosting.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.