jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Twitter Accounts to Get You Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I see you flipping through social media sites. That’s definitely not a term paper on your screen. Looks like Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, back to Facebook, Twitter again… I’m not telling you to stop doing what you’re doing (because that would make me a hypocrite). Instead, I’m encouraging you to make your procrastination meaningful. Here are some Twitter accounts to follow in order to get the most out of your social media study breaks:

CNN Breaking News – @cnnbrk – This one is kind of obvious and kind of boring. Don’t do work; keep up with current events! It’s important to stay informed, but it’s also important to let your brain rest for a little while.

Miss Representation – @RepresentPledge – This doesn’t count as resting your brain, but @RepresentPledge tends to link to a wider variety of articles and videos than CNN does. This is the Twitter account associated with the Miss Representation documentary, which highlights the sexism in how girls and women are portrayed in mainstream media.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon – @FallonTonight – Speaking of videos, the official Twitter for the best late night show on TV, @FallonTonight conveniently links to clips from the previous night’s show. It’s my favorite thing to peruse while eating breakfast. It’s also how the show obtains material for the hilarious weekly “#Hashtags” segment.

Modern Seinfeld – @SeinfeldToday – Exactly what it sounds like. What would Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer be up to if Seinfeld were still on the air?

Mindy Kaling – @mindykaling – Literally everything Mindy writes is comedic gold. Literally. Remember when The Office was a thing? And now The Mindy Project is a thing? She references pop culture and high culture and low culture and makes me feel like I’m not crazy because someone out there knows the real reason Los Angeles is so great.

Billy Eichner – @billyeichner – Billy is everything. His love for non-sequitur humor earns him a place in my heart right between Bob’s Burgers and the word “kumquat.” If his tweets aren’t inducing enough laughter for your liking, I strongly encourage you to check out the comedic genius that is Billy on the Street.

Birds’ Rights Activist – @ProBirdRights – If you’ve ever wondered what goes on in a bird’s head, this Twitter account is for you. This particular bird contemplates all the important things in life: politics, fashion, world domination, and bread. And he does it in the only way that improper grammar could ever be endearing.

Doctor Pug – @DoctorPug – Similar to @ProBirdRights, but @DoctorPug includes sage advice for making the most of your day and (in true doctor fashion) not getting sick. 

Just your average soul searcher from East Jesus Nowhere, Illinois now studying English at Davidson College. In addition to being a writer, I’m also a cautious adventurer, detail-oriented list maker, slow runner, awkward dancer, novice hiker/backpacker, binge Netflix watcher, avid reader, hopeless Cleveland Indians follower, and passionate postcard sender (and receiver - hint hint).