Top 10 Covers of Holiday Songs You (probably) Haven’t Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

It’s mid-November, which means stores have already begun displaying holiday decorations, right next to discounted Halloween costumes and piles of unclaimed sugary rubbish. There is a special place in purgatory for the souls who’ve turned the Holiday season into the commercial industry it is today, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t consume right along with everyone else. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. Maybe it just makes me prematurely Jolly. Naysayers and Scrooges, do your worst; I say Bring on the Jingle Bells.

I want to kick off this Holiday season with a list of the Top 10 Holiday Song Covers that don’t always make it onto the radio, but that you absolutely need to hear.  I’ve scoured the annals of craptastic Christmas music to find the most brilliantly original, and acoustically pleasing renditions of classical Holiday tunes.

If you’re interested in downloading this as a playlist, follow the Spotify link below! If you don’t have Spotify, enter the world of poor, collegiate music-lovers and download it pronto. 

Spotify Link!

Here they are, in no particular order: The Top 10 Musical Covers to Ring in this Holiday Season

10. Merry Christmas Baby

Artist: Hanson

Genre: 90’s Boy Band

9. Gloria (Angles We Have Heard on High)

Artist: Michael W Smith

Genre: Orchestral Pop

8. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Artist: James Taylor

Genre: Country

7.  Winter Wonderland

Artist: Jazon Mraz

Genre: Acoustic

6. Deck the Halls

Artist: Manneheim Steamroller

Genre: Classical Rock and Roll

5. White Christmas

Artist: The Drifters

Genre: Doo-wop

4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Artist: Bruce Springsteen

Genre: Rock and Roll

3. 12 Days of Christmas

Artist: Straight No Chaser

Genre: Acapella

2. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Artist: Lady Antebellum

Genre: Country-Pop

1. All I Want for Christmas Is You

Artist: Michael Buble

Genre: Singer/Songwriter (Sexy Man Voice)

Here’s to welcoming this Holiday season with cheer and only a minimal amount of grumbling. I’ll be honest, sometimes I sit in my room and play the first 5 seconds of “All I Want for Christmas” on repeat. How can you grumble when there’s a buttery baritone crooning from your speakers?

You can’t, I say; you cannot help but be merry.