Tinder Tips: 9 Ways To Rack Up Those Right Swipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Admitting to your friends that you have found love through a dating app isn’t always the easiest thing to do. Even harder is actually finding love through a dating app.

Perhaps this is because the platform doesn’t exactly lend itself to deep emotional connections. Perhaps it’s because the app is based primarily on superficial judgements. But it’s probably mostly because people have no idea how to make themselves appealing using only six pictures and a couple words in a quick bio.

Here’s the lowdown on what to do (and what not to do) to make yourself a Tinder profile guaranteed to keep the cuties swiping right.

1. DO upload as many pictures as possible.

You are able to post up to six pictures on Tinder—use this to your advantage! When on the prowl for a potential mate/date, one wants to see as many photos as possible. When a profile only has one or two, it gives off the impression that the person behind it is sketchy—or worse—doesn’t have any good pictures to publish. Pro tip: if your profile is linked to your Facebook but you don’t want to upload any more blatant selfies to your timeline, share them privately. They’ll show up as options to upload on Tinder, but your grandma won’t have to see your shirtless mirror selfie.

2. On that note, Do NOT upload a shirtless mirror selfie.

Or if you do, for God’s sake make sure there’s only one in the mix. Since time began, shirtless mirror selfies have been associated with douchebaggery, and unless you want to give off that vibe, it’s best to steer clear.

3. DO include a photo with a puppy, kitten, or other cute animal.

Who can say no to a face like that? Of course, in that situation you do run the risk of people going on dates with you just so that they can meet your dog.

4. Do NOT upload only group photos.

Potential matches will simply be confused as to which person you are. Also, it’s a lose-lose situation for you if you turn out to not be the cutest one of the clique. Additionally, it’s best to steer clear of pictures of you with your arm around someone in a not-so-platonic way; there’s no need to make people feel jealous before they even meet you. 

5. DO smile!

Though Tinder is primarily based on superficial judgements of appearance, that doesn’t mean you can’t drop hints about your dazzling personality. If you pole vault, include a pic of you in motion! If you’re a bit of a clown, shove some chopsticks up your nose and snap a selfie. Then again, if you’re a brooding poet who likes the rain and hates the sunshine, the picture of you dressed in all black and glaring through the fog of an English moor will do just fine.

6.  Do NOT use your Tinder bio as a platform for your life story.

No one needs to know that your were valedectorian of your elementary school.

7. DO put a lot of thought into your bio.

It should include a tiny bit of information about you (Davidson College, class of 2018) but not too much information (I’m looking for someone who can love me better than my ex-girlfriend Becca did.) It’s best to keep your Tinder bio short, sweet, and ideally funny enough to get the conversation rolling.

7. DO, and I repeat, DO begin the conversation in a clever and unique way.

Use your match’s pictures and/or bio as a starting point for the conversation that you’ll harken back to during your wedding speeches. Or, finesse the perfect pickup line and use that on all cuties you match with—they don’t have to know.

8. Do NOT begin a conversation by saying, “Hey.”

Variations, including “yo,” “sup,” and “ayeee,” won’t cut it either. If you’re completely at a loss of how to begin a conversation with a perfect stranger, just send them all of the lyrics of All Star by Smash Mouth. If they’re not a fan of Shrek, they’re probably not worth your time anyway.

9. DO remember that this whole thing is just a game!

…and that half the people on Tinder aren’t going to respond to you at all. Don’t take a snapshot judgement of who you are too personally. And if Tinder isn’t working out for you, try the real world. I hear it’s a pretty good place.

So there you have it. You’ve perfected your profile, and the matches are now piling up.

Next step: perfecting the perfect pick-up line, but you’re on your own for that one! 

Sophie comes from Atlanta, Georgia, and now attends Davidson College in the big city of Davidson, North Carolina. She dabbled in professional beat boxing, but ultimately decided she did not want to completely dominate the industry and ruin the careers of all aspiring beat boxers. Sophie likes reading, writing, and things that are free.