Stuck on Campus: Making the Most of Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Last year, I had the enormous pleasure of being stuck, carless, on our lovely campus for the four days in October known as Fall Break. While it was heavenly to have a few days off of the Davidson workload, I also wish I had had some guidance on what to do around Davidson (read: walkable) when you aren’t bogged down with work.

With campus relatively deserted, Fall Break is a great time to unwind and slow down a bit. Here are my tips for making the most of your time on campus this long weekend:

1. Stock up on provisions. With dining services pretty much shut down over the break, it’s up to you to make your meals. Though I definitely recommend going out (see below), it quickly gets expensive to eat out for every meal. Make the short walk to the Healthy Home Market, or backpack D.O.-style a mile down the road to Harris Teeter. Grab food that’s easy to make in a microwave, or buy some ingredients for a more hands-on meal (most of the dorms and the Multicultural House have kitchens students can use).

2. Find some other lost souls who are stuck like you and have a potluck! Turn your dorm’s kitchen into an Iron Chef battle. Pool your ingredients together and see what happens! 

3. If the weather continues its current trend, it’s going to be beautiful this weekend. It’s also the perfect time to watch the trees start changing colors. Grab one of your new buddies (see tip #2) and take a walk through the cross country trails. The fresh air will do you good, and you’ll feel like you’ve escaped campus for a little while.

4. Enjoy a few good restaurant meals. Skip the weekend brunch line and head to Toast on Monday morning! Eat a Brickhouse pizza. Order takeout from Ming’s. And for dessert, head to the Soda Shop for one of their legendary milkshakes.

5. Cheer on the women’s soccer team on Sunday afternoon when they take on Duquesne at home! Kick off at 1 p.m.

6. Take a day to do absolutely nothing but be lazy. Wake up late. Take a long shower. Paint your nails. Watch several hours of Netflix. Live in your pajamas. Sounds like the perfect day to me!

7. Promise yourself not to touch homework for at least two days. Fall Break is here for a reason, Cats! Use this weekend to destress and enjoy how beautiful and quiet our campus is.