“She’s a Day Tripper”: Raleigh Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As temporary residents of North Carolina, Davidson students should make the trip to the state’s capital, Raleigh, at least once while an undergrad. Only 2.5 hours away from Davidson, the city boasts many amusements that will make it worth the gas money. Here are some suggestions for exploration once you arrive!

1.  Pullen Park – Who doesn’t like trains, ducks, and pretty bridges? Now that the weather has warmed up, stretch your legs after 2.5 hours on the road in this 66 acre park. You can rent paddle boats or ride the carousel. Don’t forget to visit the Andy and Opie statue to see your favorite Andy Griffith characters.

2.  North Carolina Museum of Art – The first museum in the country established through state funds, the NCMA hosts Rodin, Egyptian, classical, and contemporary art collections, among many more. As a college student, you can visit the ticketed exhibits for free on Friday nights from 5-9 p.m.

3.   North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences – If art isn’t your thing, how about bats, bugs, or bones? As North Carolina’s most visited museum, they must be doing something right!

4.   Raleigh Denim Workshop – This workshop makes jeans to measure with old-fashioned machines in celebration of North Carolina’s rich history in textiles. Their store, The Curatory, sells North Carolina-made products that make great birthday gifts (or a gift for yourself).

5.   Videri Chocolate Factory – Tour the factory and sample the handcrafted chocolates. Do you need more incentive?

6.   Deco Raleigh – Another store to shop local products. Water bottles, purses, jewelry, wall art. How will you choose?!

This list doesn’t even begin to cover Raleigh’s food options. So grab some friends, jump in the car, and embark on a road trip to Raleigh. 

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe