Let the Oscars Inspire Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

With the Academy Awards only a few weeks away, talk about who should take home an Oscar will be on everyone’s lips. To add to the Oscar fun, I want to explore a less-celebrated category: Best Costume Design. So, take a cue from these nominees for a wardrobe update worthy of a golden statue.

The nominees are:

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel: A concierge and a lobby boy embark on dangerous adventures in and around a European ski resort in the 1930s. Art theft, murder, and love ensue.

Urban Outfitters: Urban Renewal Vintage Dutch Cape

The lobby boy Zero’s love interest wears peter pan collars to highlight her sweet nature. Strike a balance between sweet and tough with this vintage, rugged cape.

Urban Outfitters: Ecote Embellished Burnout Kimono

Easily worn for a day in or a night out, this kimono bespeaks a luxurious lifestyle to mirror that of Madame D., a wealthy old widow who pays for the concierge’s affections.

2. Inherent Vice: A hazy, drug-fueled scene in 1970s Los Angeles is the backdrop for this detective comedy.

Nasty Gal: Nasty Gal Fool for the City Ribbed Dress

The women in this movie are sexy, thanks in part to their empowering clothes. This party dress will equip you for any groovy scene.

Nasty Gal: Bell Raiser Crepe Dress

At the turn of the decade, 60s style was giving way to 70s cool. Channel both with a loose-fitting, cleanly-tailored dress.

3. Into the Woods: Fairy tale characters from our beloved classics scheme and sing in the magical woods.

Charlotte Russe: Crepe Cape Blazer

Little Red Riding Hood was super sassy in this movie, in part because her cape was a coveted magical item. Make your own magic with this burgundy cape. It will be envied by more than merely a baker and a witch.
Anthropologie: Tulle Midi Skirt

What made Meryl Streep’s Witch character so magnetic was her mesmerizing costumes. Whether old and cursed or young and sultry, it was all about volume. For the same effect, go for a skirt with a shorter length that still packs a punch with its frothiness.

4. Maleficent: The true love story behind the fairy villain of Sleeping Beauty.

Free People: Aubrie Fringe Skirt

Before she became an evil queen, Maleficent was just a woodland fairy. Embrace your inner fairy with a bohemian midi skirt.

ASOS: Leather Jacket with Embellished Sleeve

Teeth, bones, animal skins. Maleficent’s outfits were anything but tame. Her fairy wings are a central image in the movie. Make your own limbs stand out without the animal bones with a leather jacket like this embellished number.

5. Mr. Turner: A film about the eccentric 19th century painter J.M.W. Turner.

Charlotte Russe: Lace-back Chiffon Button-up Top

Referencing contemporary photographs and etiquette books, costume designer Jacqueline Durran created pieces that reflected the conservatism of the time. High lace collars dominate the movie. This lace-detail top is an update on the austere 19th century version.

ASOS: High Waist Midi Skirt in Satin with Bow

This prim skirt cuts off inches from the dated English version, but it’s no less polished for a date night or a wedding. The color compliments the shades that Turner used in many of his landscapes, a point of inspiration for Durran. 

Stay gold, Collegiettes.

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe