The Importance of Being Tina: Life Lessons from Bob’s Burgers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Despite having just won the Creative Arts Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program, Fox’s Bob’s Burgers continues to fly under the radar for most television viewers. I’m not at all embarrassed to say that I’m nearly 22 years old, and I still watch cartoons – because Bob’s is legitimately one of the funniest, smartest, most important shows on television. It follows the Belcher family – dad Bob, mom Tina, and kids Tina, Gene, and Louise – as they try to keep the family restaurant afloat. One of the the show’s strongest selling points is the character of oldest daughter Tina Belcher. While most middle school students repulse everyone around them, thirteen-year-old Tina has proven herself one of the most valuable, inspirational TV characters of the 2010s. Here’s why:

Her self-confidence surpasses that of – well – everyone else.

She refuses to give up on her dreams. Ever.

She’s the poster child for humility.

She gives a great pep talk.

She’s not ashamed to show when she’s nervous.

She reminds us how great it is that we’re not pubescent anymore.

She’s an innovative fashion and beauty icon.

She understands humanity’s most common emotion and expresses it eloquently.

She’s curious and imaginative.

She’s not afraid to make the first move. 

She’s proud of where she comes from. 

She stands up for herself.

She knows what she likes, and she knows what it means to be passionate.

Tina Belcher may be animated, but she’s one of the most realistic characters currently on TV. She’s an endearingly awkward middle schooler with endearingly awkward thoughts, and her desire to be perceived as normal while also remaining true to herself is a desire we all can relate to. Sure, it’s great to want to be like Olivia Pope or Peggy Olson or Arya Stark, but Tina is also a badass feminist in her own way – she’s got inspirational self-confidence and self-pride that we all could stand to learn a thing or two from.

Just your average soul searcher from East Jesus Nowhere, Illinois now studying English at Davidson College. In addition to being a writer, I’m also a cautious adventurer, detail-oriented list maker, slow runner, awkward dancer, novice hiker/backpacker, binge Netflix watcher, avid reader, hopeless Cleveland Indians follower, and passionate postcard sender (and receiver - hint hint).