I’m Doing You a Flavor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Last week, I waited in anticipation for the winner of the Lays annual “Do us a Flavor” competitions. Would the winner be Wasabi Ginger, Mango Salsa, Cappuccino, or Bacon Mac & Cheese? In the end, Wasabi Ginger was the victor, and Meneko Spigner McBeth (the flavor creator) won one million dollars or 1% of the chips sales (whichever is more).

So, in honor of my broke college student life, I have come up with some ideas for flavors to submit to next years “Do us a Flavor” competition.

1. Chicken Andouille Gumbo. 

Nothing says soul food for the munchies more than a chip inspired by the most flavorful dish from down south.

2. Cinnamon Sugar Butter Toast.

According to health specialists, the three most addictive components of food are salt, sugar, and fat. So, why not combine all three in one delicious chip? Yummy!

3. Fried Lays.

Picture this: a Lays dipped in batter and fried. It’s perfect! True, it might not meet the contest standards…but I think this could be a million dollar chip.

4. Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese.

Sure, tomato soup has been done before, but what about a bag of Lays that mixes creamy cheese chips and spicy soup inspired bites?! I would eat those.

5. Avocado and Sea Salt. 

Mixing healthy fat into a chip sounds like the perfect way to make a healthier chip…right? Anyway, I would love a chip with the smoothness of avocado richly pared with a strong salty aftertaste.

6. Chocolate Peanut Butter.

I picture this one as the Lays version of a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. Enough said.

7. Caprese Chips.

A combination of tomato, mozzarella, and basil would make for a tasty meal  all in chip form. Forget the sandwich, this would allow you to eat your entire lunch in one bite! Speaking of bites…

8. Beer Bites.

Who doesn’t like beer and chips? This would be the perfect pub snack. The boozy version of the potato chip would be an instant hit at college parties.

9. Chili Powder Chips.

Just an original lay with a layer of Chili powder. Best served with a large glass of water. This chip just might have the kick I need to win.

10. Lime Zest.

This chip would be subtle, but epic. Add some fresh lime juice to the chips and let the flavor shine.

I think with one of these 10 flavors I have the potential to win the million dollars up for grabs in the “Do us a Flavor” competition. 

I mean, if Wasabi Ginger can win, so can one of my epic flavor combinations. And what, you may ask, will I do with my one million dollars? Buy tons of potato chips of course! 

Katie Gomulkiewicz considers herself a true Seattleite who functions best on rainy days with a cup of Starbucks coffee in hand. A senior at Davidson College, she studies psychology and English. However, Katie’s true passions are leopard print, Diet Coke, and poetry.