How to Dress for Chambers in the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

So you’re walking to Chambers and you swear it could not be hotter. (It can be. It will be tomorrow if you keep jinxing it.) You’ll have a light sheen of sweat by the time you arrive in the building (a thick sheen if you’re late and had to book it, pit stains if you’re on the third floor). And then, you sit down and pull out your notebook. And what’s this? You’ve been magically transported to the Arctic. You see a penguin sliding down the hall. (No, you just fell asleep. Good thing the cold will keep you from passing out all the way.)

Here’s some advice on what to do when you need to dress for two different climate systems.

1. Buy your sweatshirts too big.

Personally, I always buy my sweatshirts a size or two up and often in the men’s designs because I think they’re comfortable, but they’re especially nice because they cover more of your legs. (Raise your hand if your sweatshirt is often longer than your shorts.) While it’s not necessarily the most put-together look, if you’re seated no one can tell it looks like you’re not wearing pants. 

(H&M Men’s)

2. Maxi Skirts

They provide air when you’re walking outside to keep you from sweltering, but then you can tighten the skirt around your legs and sit on the extra fabric to make it a makeshift blanket.

(H&M)

3. Actually bring a blanket.

Literally no one will judge you. If they do, that’s their problem. If someone is staring at you, it’s probably because they’re considering asking if they can cuddle for warmth.

4. Throwback to the classic zip off cargo pants.

I don’t even know where one buys these anymore, but if you do, please email me and let me know where. 

5. Light-colored, thin scarves

Still summer-y, can add a lot of polish to your look, they’re versatile, and you can always keep one in your backpack. Wear it around your neck (duh), over your shoulders, or in your lap like a blanket. 

(Loft)

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.