Fashion Advice From Davidson’s Own Chloe King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Three weeks ago you learned how Chloe King went from Davidson collegiette (Class of ’09) to Bergdorf Goodman’s Social Media Manager. In Part Two of my interview with this NYC fashionista you’ll get the deets on how to spend that hard-earned internship money and what to do when procrastinating for your Calculus review. 

I have a paper, an oral presentation, and a take-home review to finish today.  During my precious—and short—study break, what blog(s) should I check?

There are so many! My daily go-to’s are: vogue.com, style.com, Shine by Three, After DRK, Into the Gloss, Oracle Fox, AnOther Mag, Sea of Shoes, Stop It Right Now, and Camille Over the Rainbow’s Tumblr is amazing.

I proudly still wear ___ from my college days.

My soccer sweats! They are worn to perfection, and are perfect for freezing NYC Sundays… inside.

I’m slightly embarrassed to admit that I wore ___ in college.

SO MUCH COLOR. all the color. bright ones. Together. 

If I were in college today, my go-to outfit for my 8:15 class would be _____.

Something brainless, relaxed, but chic—leather jeans, men’s shirting, a neck scarf, and a slide sandal.

What was your first major fashion purchase after college?

A sick-o-rama Phillip Lim winter coat! I knew it would be all people saw all winter, so I went for it. I still love and wear it—sort of an oversized utility shape, in a silk twill, with a giant fur collar.

What advice would you give to a fashionista on a college budget?  What one investment piece should she blow her summer internship money on?

Sometimes it’s good to think of cost per wear when you’re going to invest. It’s always better to splurge on a beautifully constructed item that you will use over and over—a timeless handbag, sunglasses, the perfect pump or leather jacket. When you divide the price by 365 it sounds much more sane.

If I wrote a memoir ____ would be the title.

Rodents and Rodarte: A NYC Fashion Girl’s Survival Guide

Thanks for the interview, Chloe!

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe