Fancy is in the Fit: Oscars Fashion 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Maybe it is horribly cliché to write, yet again, about red carpet fashion, but on film’s biggest night of the year, it’s hard to ignore the glitz and the glam that so effortlessly (or not so effortlessly) glides down that seemingly-endless strip of red. If anything, the way we present ourselves to the world is a vibrant form of self-expression, and it’s even more difficult not to be inspired by the ways in which these six incredibly talented and incredibly beautiful women express themselves. Ladies, we salute you, and we thank you for your brilliant inspiration.

Cate Blanchett in Armani Prive

Cate is just so consistently flawless. I have her performance as Katharine Hepburn in Scorsese’s The Aviator (2004) permanently seared into my brain, and she will forever exude sophistication and elegance in my mind. The nude color palette was familiar to the red carpet this year, but Cate’s gown stands out with intricate beading and oversized sequins, and the sheer material is subtle and sweet.  

Ridiculously fabulous…and a winner. Don’t ever stop smiling, Cate.

Amy Adams in Gucci

Amy Adams knows a thing or two about color, and this blue is definitely one of her best. I love the structure of the strapless cut and the peplum detail; they add innovative touches to a sleek and timeless look. Amy’s dress is also a testament to the notion that a well-fitting garment will always impress. The color and the structure are subtly elegant, but the glove-like fit makes this ensemble stand out.

Calista Flockhart in Andrew Gn

I was surprised that Calista Flockhart’s gorgeous white gown received so little attention. Deceptively simple in its construction, Calista’s gown trains the eye to incredible embroidery on the bodice and sleeves. Naomi Watts wore a similar gown, but Calista’s is far superior in its attention to detail. The hemline and fit are equally impeccable. 

Jenna Dewan-Tatum in Reem Acra

I can find nothing wrong with this look. The fit is amazing, the length is perfect, the detail is just right, and the delicate sleeves are absolutely precious. I’m especially in love with the gentle gradient of detail from the ruffled skirt, to the beaded bodice, to whisper of the sleeves. She looks incredible.  

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior

My admiration for Jennifer Lawrence is insurmountable. She is so talented and so gorgeous. So my relief was unparalleled when Dior finally decided to offer a dress that is worthy of her magnificence. Like the gowns of her fellow leading ladies, Jennifer’s dress fits her beautifully. With the exception of the hemline, which is a hair too long, it is a polished, no-fuss look that suits her quite nicely. 

Lupita Nyong’o in custom Prada

I saved the best for last because Lupita Nyong’o wins Best Dressed by a landslide. How can anyone deny that the custom Prada dress is the most perfect, breathtaking piece of pale-blue wonder to ever grace a red carpet? All hail the Queen of Cool, because that’s exactly what this dress is; it is straight-up cool, and calm, and refreshing. You could almost feel the corset-suffocated crowd sigh with relief when she emerged, flowing and floating and glowing. Initial reviews criticized her choice as too safe and lack-luster, but in her EXTRA red carpet interview with Mario Lopez, she erased any inkling of doubt. “So far I’ve only worn things that I love and that make me smile and make me feel beautiful, so that was guide to deciding what the Oscar dress was going to be like.” Well, if that isn’t style advice to live by, I’m forever lost.

Lupita, you are incredible and a true winner.

You go, girl!

All photos from oscar.go.com. 

Davidson College English Major