jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Bucket List: Davidson Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

By Haley Jobe

Out of all four seasons, Fall is my absolute favorite. People are often shocked to hear that I prefer fall semester to spring. Yes, frolics and formals are great fun, but these seasonal favorites will convert you to a fall semester fanatic. 

1. Tailgate

If you’re from the South, I’m sure you grew up tagging along with your parents to the big state school football games. Whether it be at UGA, Clemson, or Ole Miss, tailgating is a priority before the big game. Davidson football may be much more low-key compared to Alabama, but we can still grill out in the parking lot, right? Grab a couple friends, pop open the back of your car, and munch on delicious game-day foods. It’ll be an afternoon you won’t forget anytime soon!

2. Go Apple Picking 

Apple picking is one of my fondest memories from growing up in Virginia. One early Saturday morning, my entire family piles in the car and drives an hour away to Charlottesville to pick tasty apples and stock up on apple cider donuts. Fortunately, Davidson students don’t need to drive very far to find some fresh apples. Students can visit Carrigan Farms in Mooresville to pick apples, or the more adventurous students can drive towards the mountains. Apple Hill Orchard in Morganton offers beautiful mountain views, a bakery, and of course, apples! Be sure not to miss out on this fun tradition. 

3. Take a Hike 

If you’re already in the mountains picking apples, you might as well go on a hike. The leaves will be vibrant and most definitely Instagram worthy. After visiting Apple Hill Orchard, venture into Pisgah National Forest. For the more experienced hikers, try the Catawba Falls Trail or the Hickory Nut Gorge. The views will be breath taking and the exercise and fresh air is probably needed after a long week in the library.

4. Attend an Outdoor Concert

Yes, you can do this tradition in the Spring/Summer, but it won’t be miserably hot and humid in the fall. PNC pavilion is a great outdoor venue with cheap lawn seats. You can listen to Brad Paisley, Kings of Leon, and Zac Brown Band with your friends on a crisp fall Thursday or Friday night! For a cheaper and closer option, check out local artists on Summit Main St.’s patio. Local brews and tunes makes for a great Saturday evening.  

5. Get Scared 

Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I’m always on the lookout for a seasonal scaring. If you’re not afraid of things that go bump in the night, take a trip to Scarrigan Farms. It’s an interactive haunted maze with actors dressed up as clowns, murder victims, and serial killers. Scarrigan Farms is not for the faint of heart, but hard core Halloween junkies will love the experience! For a more toned down fright, visit Scarowinds. Carowinds theme park is transformed into a “scream park” on select nights throughout September and October. The park will feature 16 “haunted” attractions and shows. It’ll add a few more screams to your day at the amusement park. Lastly, for the die-hard Halloween fans, visit one of NC’s many haunted locations. Take a trip to the Devil’s Trampling Ground 2 hours East of campus or take a ghost tour of Charlotte with Carolina History and Haunts. Whatever your scare tolerance is, there is a haunted attraction for you to try. 

f you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Mondays at 8pm in the Chambers 1003.

SaveSave

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.