Dorothy Parker: Original Gangster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

We need to talk. It’s time you knew about Dorothy Parker, the ultimate feminist badass. I know, I know, you’re shocked that I didn’t say JLaw or Tina Fey (and for good reason…ask me how many times I’ve read Bossypants). But rewind a bit, circa 1920s and 30s. The Jazz Age’s own Tina Fey, in a hat and pearls. And to those of you who have already seen me fan-girl to Dorothy Parker in real life…I’m not even sorry.

When asked if she drinks to forget :

“I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.”

For the record, I’m not including this because I encourage imbibing to forget your woes; I’m including it because damn does that girl know how to turn a phrase, and the key to my heart is wordplay.

On making mistakes and being kind of okay with it:

“That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.”

Some “inner beauty” wisdom:

“Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.”

Somehow, she managed to understand 90 years ago what we’re still struggling with today.

This girl belongs at a liberal arts school:

“Heterosexuality is not normal, it’s just common.”

*SNAPS* We are so crushing heteronormativity right now!

The 20s precursor to a Taylor Swift song:

“In youth, it was a way I had,

To do my best to please.

And change, with every passing lad

To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know

And do the things I do,

And if you do not like me so,

To hell, my love, with you!”

So flip. So crass. So Raven. 

The senior year (every year?) motto:

“If I didn’t care for fun and such,

I’d probably amount to much.

But I shall stay the way I am,

Because I do not give a damn.”

I need a little pocket-sized Dorothy Parker to whip out when I feel insecure so she can pelt me with inspirational quips and assure me that Law and Order: SVU marathons are exactly as important as I think.  If not more.

(Questionable) advice on going out:

“If you wear a short enough skirt, the party will come to you.”

I’m not going to say this works, but it doesn’t not work.

Doing nothing and almost taking pride in it:

“I don’t do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don’t even do that anymore.”

This just makes it all the more tragic when you realize she never got to marathon a series on Netflix and not move until even Netflix is asking you if you’re really still watching.

On time:

“Time doth; oh shit.”

This might be the name of my blog.

When your motivation gives out:

“But I don’t give up; I forget why not.”

Sometimes there isn’t a good reason to keep toughing it out; sometimes you just have to do it because there’s no other choice. No carrot, no stick, just you and something that will, eventually, be over.

On getting work done:

“Writing is the art of applying the ass to the seat.”

Someone glue me here, please.

Boston-born 20-nothing transplanted to North Carolina to learn about French and how to be Southern. I love the Red Sox, avocados, and napping outside. You can usually find me rereading Bossypants, binge-watching everything on HBO Go, or crashing on overly-generous friends' futons.