The Definitive Ranking of Taylor Swift’s Music Videos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As a recent Taylor Swift convert thanks to 1989, I’ve noticed what a phenomenal job Tay (we are on nickname terms already) does in all of her music videos. “Blank Space” anyone? Here is the *undisputed* ranking of all 27.

27. Change

Her hair looks great and all, but it’s a pretty vanilla video if we’re being honest.

26. Fearless

This is just footage from her Fearless Tour with song overlay. Mediocre, but better than “Change” since “Fearless” is a better song.

25. Back to December

She takes a bath in a tank top. And it snows indoors.

24. Ours

Honestly, this depiction of corporate America is just so depressing there is no way I could have ranked this any higher. Makes me grateful that my summer job was working at a summer camp, but makes me scared for the cube farm.

23. Red

Pretty much just Taylor performing again, but her energy is more palpable here than in Change. Now I want to see her on tour. I don’t think she would disappoint, especially with “1989” out.

22. Sparks Fly

See “Red” description

21. Mean

Ah, the banjo! That’s a nice touch. V country, v nice. I love the flamboyant guy and football players and we can see Taylor’s sense of humor in all with scenes with the mean people. She also debuts her now signature red lip!

20. White Horse

Flashes back to their happy relationship but she can’t forgive him after he cheats. We can feel her pain as she catches the other girl at his house. Shoutout to her Motorola Razor.

19. 22

Reminds me of a sorority recruitment video tbh.

18. I’m Only Me When I’m with You

Commendable use of home videos Tay! You have so many friends, it’s so sweet. All about those friends. Soulja Boy dances. Cats. This is the real Taylor.

17. Picture to Burn

Taylor has a secret service getting back at her ex, i.e. trashing his apartment. No pictures were actually burned though (ugh).

16. Teardrops on My Guitar

A classic. She looks stunning in that strange green prom dress cuddling with her guitar. Drew is not even worth crying about Tay, like he’s wearing a gaudy silver chain necklace and his girl wears a jean skirt/jacket combo. You are beautiful. #bringbackthecurls2014.

15. Our Song

She looks pretty betchy in the opening scene (she’s painting her nails and talking on a pink telephone). Now she’s in a gown that matches her rose. Weird. This doesn’t really relate to the song…

14. Tim McGraw

But the guy in this isn’t Tim McGraw…? The flashbacks are sweet and he looks super wholesome and nice. I’m sorry things didn’t workout between them. The video is nice. V pleasant.

13. Mine

You can actually see the connection in Taylor and her blonde lover’s eyes at the restaurant. I kind of love all the pictures hanging in the forest and their Oceanside vacation. This is what it means to be a millennial with a Pinterest page. Then he proposed. Then they fought. Then he was nice and they made up. Surprise. They have two adorable blonde boys in the end, and Tay shows zero baby weight.

12. “Fifteen”

Opens with a picture of Abigail. Another classic. There aren’t any walls to these buildings which is a little freaky Abigail makes her debut. Poor Abigail. Good thing you have Taylor as a friend and got an iconic high school song about you.

11. “Safe and Sound”

The natural setting is beautiful and Taylor looks like a serene angel with her pale skin, white dress, and bare feet. I almost do believe that I’ll be safe and sound, but then I remember finals are coming…

10. I Knew You Were Trouble

Moral of the story: if you fall for a bad boy, you will get stranded in a post-apocalyptic desert.

9. The Story of Us

So college. This is how I imagine Yale. I like this one because it’s set in a library and I love libraries because Davidson.

8. We Are Never Getting Back Together

Tay’s pj’s are adorable, but the people in animal costumes are a little strange. I could dig it though.

7. Love Story

If Jane Austen wrote Romeo and Juliet, this is what the movie adaptation would look like. I wish my hair was as blonde and curly as yours, Taylor!

6. Begin Again

She is beautiful. The song is beautiful. Paris is beautiful. This video is romantic and fresh, and no one can rock a mid-length skirt like Taylor can.

5. Shake It Off

I absolutely love her ability to make fun of herself here. We all saw her awkward dancing at the VMAs, but it’s okay because she knows that she’s an awkward dancer and that makes all the difference.

4. Everything Has Changed

LITTLE TAYLOR AND ED I’M DYING! It harkens me back to those simple times of chasing boys around the playground and hoping that cooties are a myth (they aren’t, unfortunately). Then big Taylor and Ed meet!

3. The Best Day

More home videos, but these are in homage to her mother. Taylor was so cute when she was younger. This is easily her most underrated music video. It ends with the words “I love you mom.” There’s a 76% chance I’m tearing up rn.

2. Blank Space

Okay, so “Blank Space” is 2, but that’s really just because it seems too predictable to put it at 1. This video is everything and I’ve watched it maybe thirty times and have accidentally picked up approximately two guys by making them watch it.

1. You Belong with Me

Kooky and fun, Taylor maps out this oh-so-typical scenario in a fresh way that completely makes us swoon. Remember how the other brunette girl is actually also Taylor! Also, she’s Cinderella and it is no wonder that he falls for her (blonde, nerdy Taylor) in the end. Friends first, always.

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.