Davidson vs. La Salle: a liveblog of the Commons viewing party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I present to you a play-by-play of my experience watching the Davidson vs. La Salle A-10 tournament game in the one and only Vail Commons.

11:58am: I race over to Commons after my alarm rudely awakes me from a lovely nap, reminding me that IT’S ABOUT TO GET WILD!

11:59: Commons has pulled down its giant movie theater screen for the occasion. The entire dark side is full of students ready to cheer on the ‘Cats. The energy is palpable.

11:59: Mild applause from the Commons audience as the cameras show Bob McKillop walking off the bus.

12:00pm: Dark side lights are dimmed – this is getting serious.

12:02: Davidson starting lineup is announced. Cameras focused on Bob. Chatter in Commons dying down as we gather our attention to what’s really important: watching the tipoff.

12:03: Barham wins the tip! Claps from Commons audience.

12:06: “Ahh I’m on edge right now!” a member of the audience whimpers after a La Salle foul.

12:08: Barham is really racking up the applause points: more love from crowd after another strong layup. The dude has all seven of Davidson’s points. 12-7 Explorers.

12:09: A Davidson foul leads to the under-16 timeout. The Explorers from Philly lead 12-7.

12:14: Sully for three!!!!! Crowd moderately goes nuts.

12:15: HUGE steal and layup by TKal gets crowd really pumped. Peyton Aldridge draws a charge on the other end. Slight momentum shift. La Salle 13-12.

12:16: One Commons crawler takes a pic of the game on his phone. Commons + Wildcat bball really is a sight to be seen.

12:17: A few more Commons fans clap when a La Salle guy misses a free throw. Isn’t this bad sportsmanship or something?

12:19: Michaelsen rips it away from a La Salle player!! Big steal from the dude out of Finland. Wildcats still can’t score, though, and McAuliffe fouls the La Salle rebounder after a missed ‘Cats shot.

12:20: The under-12 timeout goes into effect with 11:12 left in the first half. Some fans are taking this opportunity to reload on chicken parm. I’m taking the opportunity to question why Andrew McAuliffe shaved off his lumberjack beard – his fall facial hair made him the posterboy for lumberjack-chic. Hopefully the beard will make a return in the near future.

12:28: 31-15 Explorers. Bob, it may be time for a TO.

12:30: Davidson time-out after an out-of-control Exlorer named Zach banks in a layup. Bob must have received my message.

12:32: My friends arrive to join me in this experience. Sophie says the Commons crowd makes her “feel like we’re one big happy family.” Anna says “this is so exciting!” I don’t think they’ve seen the score yet, but I appreciate the enthusiasm.

12:34: Cameras pan to Bob, who is pacing the sidelines. But Barham makes two layups (not sure where the foul was), making the score 33-17 Explorers.

12:35: Great pass from Aldridge to Gibbs leads to a beautiful reverse layup.

12:36: Barham with another rebound. And then an offensive rebound an tough lay-in! Jordy basically IS the team right now.

12:37: THREE POINTER JACK GIBBS! Commons responds with appropriate noise.

12:48: Bill Giduz is here with his camera!! He knows that Commons is THE place to watch the ‘Cats in their first A-10 tourney appearance. 46-31 Explorers.

12:49: SULLY FOR THREE!!!!! Crowd erupts in cheers.

12:50: SULLY FOR THREE AGAIN!!!! SWISH SWISH!!!! Commons goes insane. Commons dude shakes a cowbell and offers free pizza to the loyal fans. It’s halftime, friends. 46-37 La Salle, but Davidson carries the momentum going into the locker room.

12:51: Huge line of poor souls who can’t stay for the second half forms at the tray return.

1:07: Bob is getting interviewed BUT WE CAN’T HEAR WHAT HE IS SAYING!!! :’(

1:12: BEAUTIFUL ball movement by ‘Cats leads to another Jack Gibbs three. Commons loves it. 50-43 Explorers.

1:13: Commons collectively chuckles as cameras show the Davidson bench dancing. Shoutout to Manu and Rusty.

1:14: Good defense and a blocked shot leads to a Davidson steal. Sullivan three bounces three times and then out. McAullife fights for a rebound and gets the jump-ball call. (I guess he doesn’t need his beard to be ferocious.)

1:18: KALINOSKI FOR THREE!!! AND A STEAL ON THE OTHER END!!!

1:19: Poor Jordan Barham. Cameras close in on him replacing his contact. A national audience has now basically seen the inside of his eye.

1:28: THE ONE AND ONLY MAX BALLAS-BOGRAD MAKES AN APPEARANCE ON NATIONAL TV!! You work those claves, Max. Also, shoutout to the band and dance team for making the trek to Brooklyn. 

1:36: Kalinoski for three!!! 61-54 Explorers.

1:42: SULLY FOR THREE!!!!! Timeout La Salle. Five minutes left. Explorers up 7.

1:44: Max Ballas-Bograd is back on TV! Commons makes some noise for the Pep Band’s premier clave enthusiast.

1:46: KALINOSKI FOR THREE!!!!!!!!! Commons goes wild!!! 66-60 La Salle with 4:07 left.

1:49: C’mon ‘Cats! DE-FENSE! (clap clap) DE-FENSE! (clap clap). The tension is palpable over here on the Dark Side.

1:54: TKal bobs and weaves his way though the lane to get the layup!! HUGE cheers from Commons – dare I say the biggest of the day. Tyler gets fouled on the shot. Misses free throw, but the ‘Cats come up with the rebound in a scramble in the key. Davidson timeout.

1:56: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! JACK GIBBS WITH THE THREE!!!! HE GETS FOULED!!!!! IT’S AND-ONE TIME!!!!!!!

1:56: COMMONS IS ABSOLUTE BEDLAM RIGHT NOW.

1:57: Gibbs misses the free throw. 66-65 La Salle. Someone starts the “De-fense” cheer.

1:58: Dance team gets a shoutout from the cameras and from Commons. Love the new sparkly halters, ladies.

1:58: Gibbs brings it up with 10 seconds left. 66-65 Explorers.

1:59: OH MY GOD OH MY GOD TKAL LAYS IT IN AT THE BUZZER!!!!!!!!!! CATS WIN!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 67-66 Davidson!!!

1:59: The Wildcats swarm each other in a giant hug. Pure joy coming from these guys. Tyler Kalinoski waves to the crowd. Commons waves back.

2:01: “My goodness,” Bob McKillop says. “There were so many good [moments].” Bob looks so happy. He compliments La Salle very graciously. Commons applauds Bob.

2:02: Wow. Everyone is in a state of happy shock. Can’t wait to see the Wildcats in the Big Dance this Friday.