David Harbour’s Speech Killed It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Surprising everyone, including themselves, the cast of Stranger Things, the amazing Netflix television show, came away from the Screen Actor’s Guild awards with Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series. As the award was announced, I literally screamed with excitement, just like the kids on screen. Then, David Harbour took to the stage and gave an amazing speech, which I hope I can sum up everyone’s feelings on.

“I would just like to say that in light of all that’s going on in the world today it’s difficult to celebrate the already celebrated Stranger Things.”

Still screaming with excitement that the show actually won! The Crown may have taken the other awards, but they actually did it!

“But this award from you, who take your craft seriously, and earnestly believe, like me, that great acting can change the world, is a call to arms from our fellow craftsmen and women to go deeper. And through our art to battle against fear, self-centeredness, and exclusivity of our predominantly narcissistic culture.”

Cheering that arts degree as a means of actually changing lives. Showing people through art what is important and what is true, a task that falls to actors, writers, artists, and creatives alike. We have a job to do.

“And through our craft to cultivate a more empathetic and understanding society by revealing infinite truths that serve as a forceful reminder to folks that when they feel broken, and afraid, and tired, they are not alone. We are united, in that we are all human beings and we are all together on this horrible, painful, joyous, exciting, and mysterious ride that is being alive.”

Going to go hug the first person I see because life is really bad sometimes but it can also be really great. It’s only by coming together and trying to understand each other that we can ever hope to move forward. We’re all a great big family.

“Now, as we act in the continuing narrative of Stranger Things, we 1983 Midwesterners will repel bullies, we will shelter freaks and outcasts, those who have no home. We will get past the lies. We will hunt monsters.”

This is our call to arms. We can’t just sit idly by. If our favorite Midwesterners had just let things go, the situation would have gotten even worse. We must be proactive!

“And when we are at a loss amidst the hypocrisy and the casual violence of certain individuals and institutions, we will, as per Chief Jim Hopper, punch some people in the face when they seek to destroy the meek and the disenfranchised.”

Feeling ready to get out there and fight someone! No one is going to take away other’s rights! Not on my watch!

“And we will do it all with soul, with heat, and with joy.”

We feel that way too, kids! We’re never going to recover from that.

Check out Winona Ryder having her out of body experience. She’s so cute! Look at all her faces!

Harbour’s speech was beautiful and inspiring and hopefully, it will get people moving toward productive action. Also, if you haven’t seen the show, go watch it now!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.

Emi Moore

Davidson

Just an English nerd drowning in words. English major with a Film and Media Studies minor. Aspiring to write many novels, films, television shows, and video games. Avid reviewer of movies, theatrical productions, videogames and pretty much anything you can possibly review.