The Cleansing Diaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

A little bit before my spring break trip to the Bahamas, I did a juice cleanse for two days. I know what you’re thinking, and yes, I did want to look good in a bathing suit, but there’s more than that, so let’s back up. Two weeks before spring break, I visited my friend who goes to Tulane for Mardi Gras, and I’ll just say that I now understand why they call it Fat Tuesday, and also how said friend gained twenty pounds the first semester of her freshman year. While in New Orleans, I also discovered how amazing cheese fries are, and in a perfect aligning of the stars over Davidson, Cookout serves cheese fries that are magical at any time of day, whether 2AM or 4PM. Essentially, what I’m getting at here is that I wasn’t putting good stuff in my body. Enter the juice cleanse.

I’ve done a cleanse before with my parents at the start of last summer and I felt great after it was over, so I figured I should do another one and shock my system into eating well. After consulting with my mom, I decided that a two day cleanse the Tuesday and Wednesday before spring break would be perfect, so I ordered the BluePrint Level Two cleanse and had it sent to Davidson.

I was pretty set on starting Tuesday because I had a test Friday and knew I would want to be eating solid food on Thursday while studying for it, but, as anyone with an online shopping addiction would know, all packages need to be processed at the Ridge Road warehouse before arriving in the mail center. So, it was 1:30 on a Tuesday, and all I’d consumed that day was hot water with lemon, because that’s allowed on the cleanse, and I was hungry. Luckily (?), the cleanse arrived in the mail center at around 2, and by then I was ready to start drinking. Of course, juice doesn’t help hunger much, but it’s something, right?

Later that night, while sitting in the Union with friends who are all able to eat like regular human beings, all I wanted was food. Any kind of food really. I still had one juice left for the day, but it was in the library and I wasn’t quite ready for it, so to assuage my hunger, I made the best decision I’ve ever made. I started an Instagram account. Devoted to cheese fries. Because all that you really want when on a juice cleanse are cheese fries, right? But in all seriousness, follow my account (@cheeeesefries). Yes, that’s cheese with four e’s in the middle.

The next day, I woke up feeling good. I had a surprising amount of energy for the morning, and I was ready to take day two. Day two ended with me lying in fetal position on my friend’s floor for two hours, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

Overall, my cleanse was a success. Sure I was hungry for two days straight because I didn’t eat for two days straight (it’s casual), but once off the cleanse, all I wanted to eat were vegetables and fruits, and I felt clean again. That is, until spring break began.

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.