Campus Profile: Maddie Hunter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

While all student-athletes at Davidson are impressive for their determination, work ethic, and time management, Maddie Hunter ’20 takes it to the next level by participating in two D1 sports: lacrosse and cross country. Read on to find out more about Maddie!

Maddie is in the red shirt, second from the right.

Hometown: Charlottesville, VA

Major: Undecided, but hopefully pre-med track

Campus activities: FCA

Favorite song: “Better When I’m Dancin'” or “Crash and Burn”

Fun fact: I learned sign language as a child because I didn’t speak, but after a couple of years I finally spoke and my first words were a sentence.

Celeb crush: Emma Watson: she is a role model for women as she advocates the feminist movement.

Favorite Davidson memory so far:  Going to late night worship on Thursday at the Presbyterian Church on campus or running when the sun is rising on a brisk morning.

Go-to procrastination activity: Typically I go for a walk around campus instead or walk to TCBY in order to avoid doing work.

Typical day in the life:

I typically wake up at 5:20 every day to run besides Sundays, then I also have the first class of the day with an 8:15 or 8:30.  Then I eat breakfast around 10.  After that I typically have a meeting with one of the teams or an “individual” for lacrosse, which is a 30-minute stick work session.  I then have a midday class every day at 12:15 or 12:30.  I eat lunch around 1:45. Then I have to be in the lacrosse locker room by 3:45 and have practice till 6:20.  Thursdays are the hardest day since I have lift in the morning, then have to run after my morning class, then have lab after my midday class, and finally go straight to lacrosse.  

Were you nervous coming to Davidson?   

I was very anxious prior to starting school. I was not sure how my teammates would react to my absence from sporting events and social gatherings throughout the semester. However, both teams have been so welcoming and understanding. I am honestly so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful teammates and coaches. Furthermore, my parents are very supportive.

Did you aways know you’d want to run cross country and play lacrosse in high school?

No, not at all. For most of my life I was actually hoping to play basketball in college.  However, when I moved from Chicago to Charlottesville in 7th grade I started running to stay in shape for basketball. Then that winter one of the lacrosse coaches at my school saw me playing basketball and told me I should try out for lacrosse since the two sports are very similar.  For the next few years I continued to participate in all three sports. However, lacrosse recruitment occurs very early, so I began the process of reaching out to college coaches my freshman year.  After verbally committing to Davidson for lacrosse the summer after my sophomore year, I felt that I could not abandon running since both sports were a part of my identity. So during the fall of my senior year, I committed to run cross-country also at Davidson. I definitely do not regret my decision as both sports bring me so much joy and allow me to give glory to God.  

Maddie is in the top row, second from the left.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.