Campus Profile: The Four New Devastating Deltas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Delta Sigma Theta was founded at Howard University on January 13, 1913, by 22 women. These illustrious women sought to use their strength to provide assistance to those in need. This mission is represented in their first debut as a sisterhood in March 1913 at the Women Suffrage March in Washington D.C.

Delta Sigma Theta is a private, non-profit organization whose reach spans far beyond the United States. There are chapters located in England, Germany, Japan, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Republic of Korea. Nevertheless, these highly educated Delta women dedicate themselves to service, with programs that uphold the Delta’s Five-Point Programmatic Thrust. This includes service in the development of economy and education, as well as raising awareness for international issues, physical and mental health issues and politics.

Some notable alumni include Angela Bassett, Aretha Franklin, Shirley Jackson, and Dr. Alexa Canady.

After chartering Davidson’s first black sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, in 2008, many students, still wanting to be a part of a black sorority, set out to petition the National President of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority to establish a chapter at Davidson. On March 27, 2011, 15 women charter the Upsilon Mu Chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. 

Davidson College is proud to welcome the neos of the Upsilon Mu Chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, called The FOURtress of Amity: Keepers of the Flame. 

Olanike Oyedepo

1.Hometown?

Douglasville, GA 

2. Major?

Public Health 

3. Hobbies?

Working out, cooking, eating, general tomfoolery, hanging out with friends, volunteering 

4. What made you want to become a Delta?

I wanted to become a Delta because of the organization’s commitment to serving and empowering communities beyond themselves, the ways that Delta’s on campus and back in my hometown reflected that mission, and the history that Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. has of being an active force of change in every realm but specifically civil rights and social justice (two causes near and dear to my heart). 

5. What are you most excited about now that you are a Delta?

Now that I’m a Delta, I’m excited for all of the work to begin. 

6. Best moment at Davidson so far?

Hm. I wouldn’t say that I’ve had a singular best moment, rather a collection of experiences that make me appreciate the people I’m around and the things I do on a day to day basis. 

7. What do you love most about you line sisters?

We’re all so different and have such strong passions, and what I love most about them is how goofy and chill they can be. 

8. Dream Job?

My dream job would be some type of civil rights lawyer or doing work in health policy. 

9. Spirit Animal?

I don’t have one. Lol @myself. 

10. Favorite ice cream flavor and topping?

I don’t have favorites of anything really. 

11. Commons or Union?

I prefer cooking. 

12. What do you look for in a partner?

Someone honest, respectful, and fun that enjoys spending time with me and putting up with my shenanigans. 

Chris(tine) Diaz

1. Hometown?

New York, NY, specifically Harlem

2. Major?

Environmental Studies and Anthropology

3. Hobbies?

At Davidson, my extracurriculars include SIAD (student initiative for academic diversity), self-selection of Rusk for the 2017 year, Club Crew, STRIDE mentor, Lifeguard. Some other things I enjoy are running, eating, and napping.

I saw a rich history and sisterhood of incredible women of grace accomplishing great things, individually and for the community and wanted to be a part of that. 

I’m immensely excited to be a part of the sisterhood of support as we are all driven to help the community. 

6. Best moment at Davidson so far?

I hope the best is yet to come, but some great ones have been self-selection day this year as I saw the results of my work and the day of my NIP.

The FOURtress of Amity: Keepers of the Flame, my line, we really are a group of loving women and extremely genuine and that’s a characteristic I feel is hard to find. 

8. Dream Job?

I hope to get my doctorate in Environmental Anthropology, and after continue a life of service, working for environmental justice perhaps with an NGO or even within the institution. 

9. Spirit Animal?

I wish it were a sting-ray, but I don’t know if I’m graceful enough. 

I would say Half-Baked and I don’t usually use toppings but if anything, fudge. 

11. Commons or Union?

Commons (mainly), I appreciate all you can eat. 

12. What do you look for in a partner?

I actually have a boyfriend, Elijah, he makes me laugh which is something I look for most. 

Tatiana Pless

1. Hometown?

Fayetteville, NC

2. Major?

Theatre Arts

3. Hobbies?

Acting, dancing, drawing, painting, singing, cooking, anything dealing with art really! Oh and running 

I looked at the women on campus that were Deltas, and I thought to myself, “I want to be a woman like that. Always has her priorities straight, keeps herself calm, cool, and collected at every moment of the day, and they are about their business.” They were making moves on campus! The Spring 16 line had Student Body Vice President, President of Rusk, Bonner Scholars, and the creator of Textures: Healthy Hair Club on that line. My respect for Deltas grew so much deeper because I knew at that moment that Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated was looking for women who were more than about themselves, but for others. Also, they were looking for strong, dedicated women and I believed I was that. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated takes women and builds on their strengths while also working on their weaknesses.

I am excited to be challenged and get to work! There are so many programs I would like to implement on Davidson College’s campus.

6. Best moment at Davidson so far?

Meeting people who I can depend on and call my friends (I keep my circle very small).

We love to laugh, we love to sing, and we can take on anything (we all have a similar quality of being goofy and loud… ALL the time)!

8. Dream Job?

I would love to be an animator or story creator for Pixar!

9. Spirit Animal?

An otter, because they are cute, but also aggressive and feisty.

Sweet Cream (from Cold Stone) with roasted almonds.

11. Commons or Union?

Commons for on the go, Union for meals with friends.

12. What do you look for in a partner?

I look for the character traits: Respect, Respectful, Respectable, Ambition, and Outgoing

Kyla Roland

1. Hometown?

I’m From Farmington Hills, MI but I was born in (and rep) Detroit, MI. 

2. Major?

I just declared my Bio Major 2 weeks ago J

3. Hobbies?

I enjoy playing basketball, watching Netflix and spending time with the people that I care about. 

I wanted to be a member of an organization that is devoted to bettering the community and developing college educated women into the next innovators and agents of change.  Although I intended to continue the legacy of Delta women in my family, my decision to become a Delta was deeply forged in my research on the organization and my desire to continue the work that was started by the 22 founders of Delta Sigma Theta. 

I am excited to implement programming that better serves my community and to serve as a mentor and role model to other women. 

6. Best moment at Davidson so far?

My best/favorite moment at Davidson was performing in the Spring Dance Ensemble with my teammates and Men’s basketball players last year.  It was great spending time with them outside of basketball, and doing something that was fun and slightly outside of my comfort zone. 

I love that we are all very different, but that we use our differences to work as one and accomplish whatever tasks are at hand.  I also love that we are all extremely goofy and love to laugh, so that whenever we’re together we truly enjoy each other’s presence.   

8. Dream Job?

Growing up I thought that being a professional dog sitter would be the coolest job ever haha, but more realistically, I would love to work in a lab and do research in gene therapy.

9. Spirit Animal?

I would have to say that my spirit animal is a Whale shark because while it bears the name of a vicious predator, it’s large, and it’s intimidating, at the end of the day it is one of the least deadly animals on the planet. 

Superman ice cream is my FAVE!!! And I’ll put chocolate syrup on pretty much anything. 

11. Commons or Union?

Union all day, every day.

12. What do you look for in a partner?

I look for someone that I can laugh with because if you know anything about me, I’m constantly making jokes and I love to laugh.  But I also value a person that can challenge me intellectually, and that I can have a serious conversation with.  

Congratulations to these wonderful ladies, Davidson cannot wait to see what amazing service will come in the upcoming years!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room