Campus Celebrity: Max Ballas-Bograd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Max Ballas-Bograd: Social Media Savant and future politician who makes Davidson a happier place every day

I had the pleasure of interviewing the famous Max Ballas-Bograd (MaxBB) for this week’s Campus Celebrity. Known around campus for his hilarious and honest Facebook presence, enthusiasm for extracurriculars, and positive personality, MaxBB’s impact on our campus is unquestionable. Hopefully, our Her Campus interview can shed some light on the enigmatic Davidson icon that is MBB.

Before we delve into the mystery, I am going to give you some quick facts about Max. His first name is Peter (this comes with a long and amusing story); he grew up in Teaneck, New Jersey (a 6-minute drive to NYC with no traffic); he is a member of the Class of 2018 and currently undecided on his major (considering Political Science). However, while Max may not know what direction to pursue academically, he does know what he loves most about Davidson: “We care about the peculiarities in others…Everybody at this school offers something unique, and we all are all individuals.”  For Max, the most important thing he can do at Davidson is to interact with as many people as possible. This seems impossible, but after seeing him greet four different first years during our interview, I think I can rest my case by saying that MaxBB knows everyone. When asked about how he manages to reach out to so many people, Max has a simple, predictable-if-you-know-him solution: social media.

Max’s social media presence is legendary. One of the most recent appearances of MaxBB on social media has been a Yik Yak discussion surrounding MaxBB’s car.  Everyone has been wondering why Max has left his car windows down for almost a week. Well we can all stop worrying because Max has a very good reason for keeping his windows down. Apparently, he commonly burns his hands on the wheel after his car gets really hot while sitting in the sun all day, so he would keep the windows down to get more air flow. Max really appreciates everyone’s concern, but he also wants to make sure everyone knows that he is “very in tune with the forecast” and only leaves his windows down when it isn’t going to rain.

Max’s fame on social media extends beyond the 1.5-mile radius of Davidson’s Yik Yak. Since the beginning of last year, MaxBB has kept us all entertained with his hilarious and optimistic Facebook posts. I can recall several instances last year when his Facebook posts were the funniest parts of my day. They always bring a smile to my face and remind me how wonderful the Davidson community truly is. When I mentioned this to Max in our interview, he said that is what he strives to do everyday. 

If you’ve ever talked to Max, you know that he’s full of quips, non sequiturs, and random facts. Here are some of the gems from this interview:

• Max has a lottery addiction, but it is okay because he is supporting NJ public schools
  • He worked as a maintenance man and at a car wash this summer
  • His favorite meal is Pupusas (an El Salvadorian specialty) 
  • After Davidson, he wants to start a company, be a sports coach, run for President, and be a professional competitive eater (inspried by: Vermonster Challenge)

To find out more about Max, check out his posts on social media or just walk up and introduce yourself; I’m sure he would love it. Whether it is on social media, serving as a bartender on campus (be on the lookout for his signature drink- Mad MaXXX), volunteering at middle schools with the Buddy Club, or assisting in Special-Olympics and Davidson Perspectives, Max always strives to connect with as many people as possible and make Davidson a better place everyday.   Thank you Max for making all our lives at Davidson a little brighter!

Andrew Peterson is a member of the Class of 2018 at Davidson College. He was born in Elkin, North Carolina and attended the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM).  After graduation, Andrew came to Davidson, where he is an English major and an Neuroscience minor on the pre-med track.   He began writing for HerCampus during his sophomore year, and most of his articles are human interst pieces highlighitng unique individuals at Davidson.  When he is not writing for HerCampus, Andrew serves as President of Timmy Global Health, a committee head for Dinner at Davidson, Programming and Publicity head of the Civic Engagement Council, a founder and organizer of TEDxDavidson, a University Innovation Fellow with Davidson I&E, and a regular volunteer at Ada Jenkins Free Clinic.  During his time at Davidson, Andrew has spent a summer studying British Literature at Cambridge University, lead two medical service tripes to Quito, Ecuador, went on his first mission to Nicaragua with the Chaplain's Office, and spent a summer conducing biomedial research at NYU Dental School. If you would like to learn more about Andrew, feel free to reach out to him at anpeterson@davidson.edu.