A Black Bachelor Fan’s Reaction to the First Black Bachelorette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I have been a fan of The Bachelor since middle school. And let me tell you, it can be very difficult being a black Bachelor fan. The shows seriously lack diversity and uses contestants of color as props. Every season, I get my hopes up that the black women on the season won’t just be tokens. That they won’t just go home after 3 weeks and have no one-on-one dates. But in reality, 59% of black contestants get eliminated in the first two episodes. In fact, a major reason I kept watching the show was to finally see a black woman make it far. I would actually cringe as the token black woman of the season would talk about “how chocolate tastes good”, kiss the bachelor and then be sent home that week. And don’t even get me started on the subtle racist comments the other contestant would make. For example, last season a white contestant made a comment about how the bachelor would never pick Jubilee (a black contestant) because she would not fit in with the other soccer moms. I thought that Jubilee from last season was going to be the one to go far, but after her exit from Ben’s season and a short stint on Bachelor in Paradise, I knew I needed to watch one more season.

And I’m happy I did, because Rachel was the answer to my bachelor god prayers. Not only is she beautiful and intelligent, but she is a role model for all women.  Rachel is a successful lawyer from Dallas who carries herself like a queen. After her first conversation with Nick, I knew she going to be the next bachelorette. This is because I knew that she was way too good for Nick and she is also the definition of #blackgirlmagic. After watching the first episode I actually turned to my sister and said: “I want to be Rachel when I grow up.”

So, you can guess how excited I was she was announced as the next bachelorette. It is important that The Bachelor, a very popular show in America, actually showcases America. America is made up of 40% racial minorities; however, only 17% of the contestants have been non-white and there has only been one Bachelor of color.  I think The Bachelor has the responsibility to showcase love stories of all colors. Rachel does this while also showing girls of color that they are beautiful and have many options when it comes to choosing love. Now I can’t wait for the new season and to watch Rachel find love!!!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.

Robi is a Freshman at Davidson. She loves dogs, crazy socks and spicy food.