The ABCs of LGBTQ+

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As National Coming Out Day passes by, I think a lot of people often find themselves confused by the variety of gender identities and sexual orientations. 

Here’s a helpful ABC guide:

Lesbian – Generally a term used for women who are sexually attracted to other women

Gay – Generally a term used for men who are sexually attracted to other men. May also be used as an umbrella term for all LGBTQ+ people

Bisexual – A person who is sexually attracted to two or more genders

Pansexual – A person who is sexually attracted to people of all genders

Asexual – A person who does not experience sexual attraction

Queer – An umbrella term for anyone in the LGBTQ+ spectrum

Questioning – Denotes a person who is unsure of their sexual orientation and is currently investigating it

Transgender – A person who does not identify with the sex they were assigned at birth

Nonbinary – A person whose gender identity does not fit into the spectrum of male or female

Genderfluid – A person whose gender identity shifts between male and female

Emi Moore

Davidson

Just an English nerd drowning in words. English major with a Film and Media Studies minor. Aspiring to write many novels, films, television shows, and video games. Avid reviewer of movies, theatrical productions, videogames and pretty much anything you can possibly review.