The 9 Best Places to Nap at Davidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

“To nap or not to nap, that is the question.”

If you’re anything like me, you strongly believe that one of the most beautiful experiences life has to offer is sleep. You know that those heavenly five minute increments of sleep you get between snooze alarms are some of the best moments of sleep you’ll ever have. You also know that you’ve had a good nap when you wake up with those weird imprints on your arms. Honestly, I would be hard pressed to think of many things more glorious than an amazing nap. Unfortunately, given the work load here, it can sometimes be difficult to squeeze in a nap between the time we spend complaining about all the work we have to do and the time we procrastinate actually doing it.

Nevertheless, for those of you poor souls (a.k.a. me) who ever find yourselves doing this in class…

…it’s probably best to listen to your bodies’ pleas for help and get some much needed sleep before your immune system breaks down and you catch the plague.

Personally, the strangest nap I’ve ever taken at Davidson was on a couch at the BSC during a court party my freshman year…

For more ideal napping environments, here is a compilation of the nine best places at Davidson to catch up on some zzz’s.

9. Random Chambers classroom

This is great for those nights when you’re super crammed with work and absolutely cannot afford to go back to nap in your room. You’re pretty much guaranteed privacy and therefore no judgement from your fellow peers, as long as you leave a little OCUPADO note outside the door.

8. Random study room in the library

Once again, perfect for those hell week nights when you’re super crammed. I’ve been guilty of shamelessly napping here more than once. It’s also super convenient because you can totally align those blue cushioned chairs to form a mini couch.

7. Union couch

This is more for those nappers who are bold enough to nap in public, because there’s always the risk of someone walking by in the Union, no matter how late in the night. But if you don’t mind that, then more power to you.

6. Multicultural House couch

This hidden gem has some of the most comfortable couches on campus. There’s also a really cool secret band room downstairs, if you’re trying to have a post-nap jam session to lift up your spirits. 

5. Hammock

Classic. This one needs no explanation, since Davidson students can hammock for days. (TIP: If you also suffer from ridiculous bug bites the size of pancakes because mosquitos love your blood, you should probably apply copious amounts of bug repellent beforehand. Nap at your own risk.)

4. Blanket on Chambers lawn

Probably not the best idea now since we seem to be in the middle of a rain phase that won’t go away… but chilling on Chambers lawn is amazing when the skies aren’t so grey.

3. Blanket at Lake Campus

Yet again, maybe not a great idea now when it’s raining cats and dogs and squirrels. But come spring, definitely try to take a nap or two here.

2. A friend’s futon

Because doing nothing at a friend’s place is always more fun than doing nothing at your own. 

1. YOUR BED

Because there’s no place like home. My bed is my favorite place in the whole wide world. (Warning: If you choose to nap here, you may not wake up again until an ungodly hour and your friends will wonder what happened to you. But your body and your brain will thank you.)

HAPPY NAPPING!