7 Thoughts You Have During Your First Month At Davidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

The first month of your college career at Davidson is a whirlwind of activities, school work, and new friendships. Here are a couple thoughts you’ve probably already had during your first month as a Wildcat:

1. Where is Chambers?

Navigating campus during that first week is a struggle.  Don’t be surprised when on the first day of classes you find yourself wandering around, map in hand, just to find out that Chambers is the building directly in front of your dorm.

2. How do I get one of these strangers on my hall to become my best friend?

You just said ‘bye’ to your family and are smushed into your hall lounge with 40 other girls. All of them seem relatively nice, but you are pondering who you are going to get that BFF connection with.  

3. Is it humanly possible to finish this much reading before class?

Walking out of your first class, syllabus in hand, you are faced with the fact that you actually came to Davidson to do school work. You’re hit with the reality of the 100 pages of reading you need to complete before the next class discussion and head straight to Club Libs.

4. Am I really expected to live in here?

You walk into your dorm for the first time, where a squad of football players have scattered your boxes across the floor. You look at the plain white walls, the stain on the carpet and the dusty closet floor and can’t help but think, how is this going to become a place I can happily rest every day?

5. How is everyone so nice?

Your first month will be filled with people greeting you in the hall, in the bathroom, at Commons and across campus. You will wonder how Davidson has managed to gather so many friendly people in one small place, but you will be inevitably thankful for it.  

6. I’m lonely.

While Davidson does a great job of providing tons of activities and ways to get connected to people on campus, you will probably find yourself feeling lonely at some point. Whether you are surrounded by a bunch of people you vaguely remember meeting last week or sitting alone in your room, you will miss people from home. But don’t worry, everyone feels this and know you will find those close friends on Campus!

7. Go Cats!!!

By the end of your first month, you won’t be able to contain your Davidson pride. You won’t be able to stop yourself from bragging to your friends from home about the great weather, beautiful campus, the awesome people you’ve met and the cool readings you’ve done for class. You definitely won’t regret coming to Davidson.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Mondays at 8 p.m. in Chambers 1003.