7 Minimalist Fashion Essentials for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Winter has come. It’s cold, it’s gray, it’s rainy sometimes, and you just can’t be bothered. We’ve all been there. With a little reorganizing and (minimal) effort, you can transform your closet and drop all the hassle. Here are some of our favorite winter wardrobe essentials that are extra flattering, go with anything, and are mind-numbingly easy to style. It’s all about functionality over frills, so let’s dive in. 

1. Sweaters

They’re an obvious classic, but this year, try some neutral or even graphic options to give off cool, edgy streetwear vibes. 

Experiment with different fits and cuts to find your new #goto. 

2. Turtlenecks 

The traditional sweater’s more refined (and cozy) cousin, turtlenecks look effortlessly mod when paired with tights or leggings. Style your hair up and out of your face to really show off the neckline. 

3. Trench Coats 

When it’s gloomy and rainy, a trench coat paired with your favorite umbrella can make your day so much brighter. Stick to neutral colors like beige, gray, or black to go with anything. 

Remember that one length doesn’t fit all, so try several to see which matches your height best. 

4. Leggings 

When you’re wearing a looser fitting top, leggings (as opposed to pants) give your outfit the perfect balance, instead of looking frumpy and boxy. 

5. Loose-fitting T-Shirts 

Wear them under cardigans in cooler weather, wear them alone in spring, literally wear them every day. A loose (but well fitting) t-shirt is an absolute staple for casual, everyday wear. 

Dress up with a detailed necklace, or use a scarf to add a pop of color and texture. 

6. Blanket Scarves

Speaking of scarves, blanket scarves are probably one of the best things since sliced bread. Just look. Also, same suggestion as before–pair with tighter bottoms to keep the weight and focus more on the top of your body. 

7. Ankle Boots 

While over-the-knee boots dominated last fall, ankle boots are one of winter’s unsung heroes. Trendy, yet sophisticated, ankle boots look über fabulous with leggings. 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.