6 Unexpected Accessories to Update Your Formal Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

The sundresses, flip flops, and chubbies I see around campus can only mean one thing: it’s spring. And spring can only mean one thing to collegiates in eating houses: spring formal is upon us.

As we all know, spring formal is a prime opportunity to snap a new propic for Facebook or an Instagram pic that will need minimal filtering to rack up the double taps. There’s also the food, drinks, and dancing to look forward to, but we don’t get all dolled up for the steak.

Instead of writing about what dress you should wear to formal (after all, you should already have your dress if you attended our Dress Swap!), this article shares some ideas for how to spice up what you already have. Whether you’re wearing this dress for the umpteenth time or borrowing from a friend, you can still add pizzazz to your outfit with these affordable updates.

1.  Belt

A great way to completely change the silhouette of a billowy dress is to add an embellished belt.

Anthropologie, $38.

If you’re feeling adventurous: Etsy shop, $20.29.

A belt can change the look of dresses with nipped-in waists as well!

2.  Earrings

Instead of diamond studs, how about something unexpected? You’ll be camera ready for sure.

Modcloth, $12.99.

These may steal the show from the rest of your outfit, but they’re worth it.

Modcloth, $12.99.

3.  Hair accessories

Something as simple as decorative bobby pins could take your updo to the next level. Just be sure to take some selfies that do the accessories justice! 

Charming Charlie, $8.

Perhaps an unconventional headband?

Ban.do, $15.

4.  Body chain

If your dress is low cut, you could wear this on the inside so it just peaks out. Or, if your dress is simple, wear the chain on the outside.

Forever 21, $7.90.

5.  Temporary tattoos

If you’ve already tried the flash tattoo, how about butterflies, flowers, or constellations?

Urban Outfitters, $10.

If your dress has a low cut back, why not sport a classy tramp stamp for the night?

Urban Outfitters, $10.

Hair tattoos might not seem practical if you’re not Kylie Jenner, but formal is the perfect time to try something a little extravagant.

Urban Outfitters, $10.

6.  Flair

Just because you don’t work at Chotchkie’s like Jennifer Anniston in Office Space doesn’t mean you can’t wear some flair. Ban.do has some tongue-in-cheek, quirky pins that would let everyone know you like to have fun.

Band.do, $10.

Give one to your date as a thank you for the swing dancing.

Ban.do, $10.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe