5 Reasons You Should Attend the Next Union Board Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

By Haley Jobe

Thank goodness for the Union Board! Those smiling, happy people feed us when we’re drunk on Saturday nights, provide free concerts (bring back Lil’ boat), and cure our Friday afternoon boredom. Here are five reasons why you should attend the next Union Board sponsored event:

1. Free Food

Rarely does the Union Board throw an event where free food isn’t served. The UB hands out snacks after free yoga classes, serves frozen yogurt at Disney movie screenings, and sets up a Bojangle’s biscuit buffet in the Union in the middle of the night. Show up to events early because food runs out fast! 

2. You Might Learn Something New

Whether it be at Weekly Trivia hosted by Union Board, at a Speakers event, or at an Artist’s Series performance, you’re bound to learn something new about the fantastic world around you. This semester, I urge you to gather your friends and try your hand at trivia. You might know nothing about journalism, but after a game of Trivia co-hosted by the Davidsonian, you’ll be able to sweep the category next time it appears on Jeopardy. 

3. No Need to Walk Down (& Back Up) the Hill

The location of Union Board events can’t be beat! Most events are in (you guessed it) the Union, or as I affectionately call it “the living room of campus.” Hang out with DIY committee at the amphitheater steps while tie dying a t-shirt or relax in a bean bag chair in the 900 room during the Wonder Woman screening. Either way, UB events are centrally located to all students on campus! 

4. Free Admission

No one likes to pay the price of a concert ticket, good thing UB sponsored performances are free to students! A ticket to see the premier concert in the spring? Free. A ticket to see the string band, Time for Three, play pop music in DFPH on Sep. 23? Free for the first 200 students who pick up tickets at the ticket office (3rd floor Union). On Thursdays at 10 pm in the 900 room, you don’t even need a ticket to see local campus bands and student performers put on a show at Live Thursday. Whatever your taste in music, you can find a free performance to attend on campus.

5. It’s Fun

Throughout the year, the Union Board, which is made up of incredibly talented individuals, puts on programming with students’ amusement in mind. UB wouldn’t host events if the Board thought it would be lame, uncool, or boring! In the past two weeks, UB has put on fun events such as the Barn Party, Bo’ and Bingo, Weekly Trivia, and DIY tie dye. If you missed out on these events, never fear! UB is committed to programming EVERY Wednesday-Saturday. Check out the Wonder Woman screening on 9/7, Snacks and Relax on 9/8, and Fall Fling on 9/16! If UB is hosting an event, it’ sure to be worth your while to check it out. 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Mondays at 8 p.m. in Chambers 1003.

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.