5 Books by Female Authors I Want to Read Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I know. Davidson students have no spare time for reading books outside of class. Between the novel you need to read by yesterday and the paper due tomorrow, book recommendations might just make you feel even more despair about our workloads. But Thanksgiving break is on the horizon, and we all need to give ourselves some me time. Instead of a Netflix binge, pick up one of these books I’m dying to take off my bookshelf. 

1. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood 

I didn’t read this in high school, and as an English major interested in female writers and female empowerment, I’m embarrassed I haven’t read this. Something of a modern classic, it’s becoming a TV show in 2017. All the more reason to read it now before the show starts. 

2. Commonwealth by Anne Patchett 

Again, an author I’m ashamed not to have read. Commonwealth is Patchett’s most recent book, and while I shouldn’t let cover art sway me, the beautiful cover makes me want to pick it up even more. The multi-generational novel speaks to the period drama nerd in me. 

3. Sex Object by Jessica Valenti

A memoir that covers topics of gender and politics with humor, Sex Object gives us insight into a prominent American feminist. If critics are comparing her to Joan Didion, you know you need to read this. 

4. In the Company of Women by Grace Bonney

This book from the blogger behind Design*Sponge interviews 100 powerful women from all walks of life. As I look ahead to graduation, I could definitely use some sage advice from female entrepreneurs. 

5. What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi

I devoured Oyeyemi’s Boy, Snow, BirdI now want to read all of her other books. I’ve been looking for a short story collection to throw into the mix for break. A definite must.  

Make some hot chocolate, bury yourself in covers, and give yourself a break soon. 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesdays at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe