5 Articles on Post-Election Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

It has been an emotional week. Many people are still processing what the outcome of the presidential election will mean for the future. The newsletters I follow have inundated me with articles voicing dismay and despair. I am not qualified to make sweeping statements about how we should handle the next months and years. But I value the various opinions out there on the subject. So here are a few articles I’ve come across that offer constructive dialogue. 

1. “What Trump Winning Means” by Leandra Medine

Instead of throwing our arms up in surrender and subsequently crashing Canada’s immigration website, we have to rescind our ability to “flight” and push ourselves into the fight. We’re at the helm of a revolution, people! The beginning, no doubt, of a stunning fourth wave of feminism.

2. “Forward After the Election” by Doreen Oliver

Maybe it’s because after reaping the benefits of the Civil Rights Movement and feminists before me I always knew that one day I’d be called to fight against oppression, racism and sexism in ways I’d only read or heard about. And for that, I will have to be strong, mentally and physically.

3. “The Election Is Over. Now What?” by Laurel Pantin

The first thing is that if you have a young woman or girl in your life, we hope you take a moment to hug her, tell her her life is valuable, that you cherish her and that the behavior of our new president-elect does not reflect her worth.  

4. “Post-election To-do List: How to Take Action, Donate and Help” by Leslie Price

A list of resources for volunteering and donating. 

5. “Hillary Clinton Has a Solution for Post-election Zen” by Sophie Schulte-Hillen

Hillary Clinton, looking peaceful, even happy, in yet another display of unfathomable resilience—many feared that her delayed concession speech was a sign that the vicious campaign had finally broken her—didn’t hide under the covers that day, but, sure as President Obama’s reminder that the sun would come up tomorrow, embraced a new day.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room. 

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe