15 Swimsuits To Get A Tan In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

It’s almost May, aka almost swimsuit season.  Instead of buying another itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini, I challenge you to try some more adventurous bathing suit styles—like cutouts, crisscross, and crochet details. 

Why? 

Because they’ll leave you with awesome tan lines.  Here are a few suits to get your imagination going.

1. Nasty Gal: Chromat Pentagram Swimsuit

The online description calls this a “mega sexy suit” with a “mega sexy cut out at bust.”  So wear this and you’ll have mega sexy pentagram-like tan lines.

2. Agent Provocateur: Mazzy Cutout Swimsuit

Get a tan in this, and for the rest of the summer your birthday suit will look like an argyle sweater.

3. Jean Paul Gaultier: Halter Cut-Out Rosette Swimsuit

The nice side cut outs on this purple suit will leave you with tan lines that look like rays of sunshine, or a six-fingered hand.

4. Asos: Cupped Cut Out Trim Bandeau Swimsuit 

Sexy? Yes.  Tan friendly? You decide.

5. Asos: Gold Stud Cut Out Neck Swimsuit  

You don’t have to bare your torso to experiment with this trend.  And after tanning in this piece, you won’t need a necklace.

6. Asos: High Neck Plunge Belted Swimsuit

This high neck is very alluring, as will be the oblong oval of tanned skin down your chest.

7. AMIClubwear: Blue White Strappy Cut Out Sexy Pucker Back Swimsuit

The small strips of pale skin across your cleavage will be sexy.  I promise.

8. Nasty Gal: Martine Swimsuit

Glamorous cutouts + pretty scalloped trim = buy me.

9. Yes Master (on Urban Outfitters): Tiger Cutout One Piece Swimsuit

Half pale, half tan.  Just think of your tanned side as the mouth of the tiger.

10. Acacia Swimwear (on Revolve): Panama Bikini Top

The crochet detail on this bikini top is super hot, like you.

11. Seekers (on Asos): Cut Out Snake Print One Piece Swimsuit

Loving the crisscross detail on this reptilian number. 

12. Yes Master (on Urban Outfitters): Open-Front Low-Back One-Piece Swimsuit

Keep your arms safe from the sun.  But warning, the online description says this bathing suit will only give you “moderate coverage.”

13. Luli Fama (on Shopbop): Verano de Rumba Triangle Bikini Top

One strappin, two strappin … eight strappin?  Evidently, the more straps, the better. 

14. Free People: Crochet Monokini

Who knows what will get tanned in this monokini.  Take a risk and find out.

15. Kovey (on Urban Outfitters): String-Back One-Piece Swimsuit

Think of the rainbow straps as symbolic of the ultraviolet rays that will be hitting your back.

Want the suit but not the tan lines? SUNSCREEN (which you should wear even if you do want to rock the tanlines). 

Time to suit up!

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe