The 15 Stages of a Davidson Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

So here we are, more than a month into the new school year. You may have spotted a new cutie or two on campus at this point. Perhaps you’ve even developed a bit of a crush on someone. To my fellow upperclassmen, you probably know the struggle all too well and can maybe relate to a few of these. To the freshmen: congrats, you now have someone to send embarrassing texts to when you’re out on the weekends and regret it the next morning! Oh, and you will also run into them every​where, given that this campus has a mere 2,000 students, so get ready for some awkward encounters. Anyway, without further ado, here are the fifteen stages of having a Davidson crush.

1. When you see your crush for the first time from across the room:

…And they catch you staring.

2. When they talk to you for the first time and it’s absolutely magical:

“They’re so dreamy.”

3. When you realize you’ve caught feelings:

4. When you try to say hi while passing them in Chambers and they don’t see you:

When you try to get their attention and embarrass yourself in the process:

5. But the tides finally start turning in your favor and you start freaking out:

6. You start gushing to your friends:

And of course, your friends look at you like THIS when your crush walks by:

7. When you finally gain the confidence to make your move:

8. But you suddenly fear that you’ll come off as too eager and scare them away:

9. So you continue stealthily stalking them on social media instead:

…And you accidentally like something from a year ago on Instagram.

10. To make matters worse, you realize that everyone on campus knows about your crush anyway:

11. And it definitely doesn’t help when you impulsively profess your feelings on a night out:

12. You eventually come to terms with reality and accept that you’ll never be together:

13. So you tell your friends that you’re “over them”:

Your friends’ reactions when you tell them that you’re “over them”:

14. When you’re ACTUALLY over them and look back at all the foolish things you did:

15. And since we’re at Davidson, when you’re finally at peace, you discover that they’re in two of your classes and are living across the hall from you next year:

“I’m so done.”

Andrew Peterson is a member of the Class of 2018 at Davidson College. He was born in Elkin, North Carolina and attended the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM).  After graduation, Andrew came to Davidson, where he is an English major and an Neuroscience minor on the pre-med track.   He began writing for HerCampus during his sophomore year, and most of his articles are human interst pieces highlighitng unique individuals at Davidson.  When he is not writing for HerCampus, Andrew serves as President of Timmy Global Health, a committee head for Dinner at Davidson, Programming and Publicity head of the Civic Engagement Council, a founder and organizer of TEDxDavidson, a University Innovation Fellow with Davidson I&E, and a regular volunteer at Ada Jenkins Free Clinic.  During his time at Davidson, Andrew has spent a summer studying British Literature at Cambridge University, lead two medical service tripes to Quito, Ecuador, went on his first mission to Nicaragua with the Chaplain's Office, and spent a summer conducing biomedial research at NYU Dental School. If you would like to learn more about Andrew, feel free to reach out to him at anpeterson@davidson.edu.