13 Responses To My Major That I’m Really Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As I’m entering my senior year of college, I’m spending a lot of time reflecting. Over the past three years, I’ve had conversations that have been particularly meaningful for various reasons – they were reassuring, they made me think, they made me laugh. In most of those conversations, someone has asked me what I’m majoring in, and then offered a response. The following are a few of the responses that just made me go…what?

1.     Why did you pick that

I don’t know, I drew a slip of paper out of a hat and this is what I got. It’s pretty easy to spell. The courses had fun names. Because I wanted to, that’s why.

2.     So, like, what do you learn about? 

Hold on – let me condense three years of course material into one or two coherent sentences. This will only take a second. I’m a religious studies major. I study religions. I learn about religions. Come on.

3.     Oh so are you going to be a minister? 

Yes, because that’s the only thing I could possibly do with my liberal arts degree.

4.     What are you doing after graduation? 

Not sure yet, we’ll probably go to lunch somewhere though. What are YOU doing eight months from now? 

5.     I bet that’s really interesting. 

No it’s awful. I hate every minute. Of course it’s interesting, I wouldn’t have chosen it if it wasn’t.

6.     I could never major in that. 

Great! Don’t!

7.     You must go to church a lot. 

…I just. What?

8.     Is the Bible one of your textbooks? Hahaha. 

Hahaha, it depends on the class.

9.     Your parents must be so proud of you. 

I guess so; you’d have to ask them. Honestly I think they just really want me to graduate.

10.     Isn’t that kind of limiting? 

Is your degree in fashion merchandising limiting? It’s a liberal arts degree. I have taken courses in other disciplines.

11.     I guess you don’t want to make any money. 

It’s like you’re begging me to roll my eyes at you.

12.     Oh (awkward silence). 

What, did I say something wrong?

13.     Well, good luck with that! 

Thanks! xoxo

A recent graduate and North Carolina native, Caroline has a very healthy obsession with monograms and pearls. She loves musicals, elephants, books, Scandal, red lipstick, the Real Housewives, a good thank-you note, Oxford commas, and live-tweeting awards shows. Caro's constantly in pursuit of the perfect red nail lacquer and a bigger cup of coffee. If you enjoy sassy pop culture & political commentary and excessive use of the word "y'all," follow her on Twitter: @carolinebrooks_