10 Reasons to Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

1. It took a long time and a lot of work to make sure we all had the (de jure) right to vote.  So use it.

2. Your vote does, indeed, matter.  If you don’t vote, you’re leaving decisions in the hands of others and upholding stereotypes about what “types” of people actually vote and which affinity groups have power.

3. Vote your conscience, vote pragmatically, embrace the politicians who let you do both–but mark down someone.

4. If you don’t vote, you can’t complain about the candidate.  Like, that’s just fair.  We all know complaining about Washington is America’s real pastime. Do you really want to miss out?

5. For the sticker.

6. Because not every nation gets the chance to have an input in who their leaders are and it’s a pretty amazing thing when you think about it. #AmericanExceptionalism

7. Because presidential candidates aren’t the only ones on the ballot. Local politicians are a lot more accountable to you and have a greater impact on your daily life.

8. Because people aren’t the only things on the ballot. State amendments, tax levies, and more can also be in your hands. (And again… you don’t vote, don’t complain to me about your taxes, aight?)

9. It is the literal foundation of our democracy.  Might it need updating?  Probably.  Do we disagree on how that might happen?  Likely.  Is it still important and hugely significant?  Definitely.

10. Because if you don’t advocate for yourself and your values, who will?

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.