Hair products I own
Hair products I own
Ashley Painter
Style > Beauty

Tips About Having Fabulously Colorful Hair – Embrace the Rainbow!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

*Product Review with amika 

1. Say goodbye to your towels, because stains are expected- one time I made a zombie fighter game and my professor called me out for having “zombie hands” from dyeing my hair without gloves. It happens!

2. Oh yeah, wear gloves when you’re dyeing your hair to avoid “zombie hands!”

3. If you have darker hair, you’re going to have to use bleach and a stronger developer. I have brown-black colored hair and I needed 30-developer. Be careful with the powder bleach, wear gloves and please open a window! Ventilation is important.

4. When you bleach, it might be orange if you don’t use a strong enough developer. For example, I had neon orange hair for a hot sec because of it. 

5. Have expectations for post-bleach and dye hair care that you’re going to need to treat your hair very, very well to keep it from falling out. Research care for your specific hair type and monitor hair loss, especially after using bleach. Hair oils and creams and deep-conditioning overnight will save your hair from breaking.

6. This includes adding any heat-induced hair care styling tools! Use some kind of liquid/gel/cream protectant on your hair before applying heat. For a quick style, and for all y’all who loved the Netflix movie To All the Boys I Loved Before, amika beauty has launched products with Sephora mini straightening brush set and dry shampoo. (Perk Up Dry shampoo apparently is vegan and doesn’t use animal testing. And the Polished Perfection Straightening Brush set has padding to add an extra layer to protect you from burns). *note: amika sent me these sample products to give an honest review. They also included stickers, and who doesn’t enjoy stickers? Excuse me, you had me at shiny. 

7. Eyeshadow that matches your colorful rainbow-ish hair? YES. PLEASE.

8. And find out what specific hair dye product you use for your hair color. I’m a big fan of Manic Panic, personally.

9. You might feel the urge to change your hair color once a day every day for weeks on end. Wigs, my friends. They are absolutely gorgeous and can change your hair like that (snaps).

10. Colorful hair dye is temporary (if you find permanent sea-green hair dye, hit me up, you beautiful mer-person, you). But it will fade. Purple fades to pink, occasionally a cool silver color over bleach and unwittingly tones it. Blue fades to an off-green.

11. This also means people will recognize you more easily. Going stealth mode, little more difficult.

12. People will stare. Because you are fabulous. Flip your fabulous hair at them because– You. Are. Everything.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?
Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.