Culture > News

Start of Dartmouth Pride 2019 – “Different Strides One Pride”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

Dartmouth Pride started with Queer Prom as a kickoff event. The dance followed the theme of “A Midsummer Night’s Queen”, with electric candle tealights and tulle floral arches decorating Alumni Hall. A dedicated team of Dartmouth students split into teams of Programming, Advertising, Finance, and a large list of volunteers helped bring the event to fruition. The event’s purpose was to give a prom where LGBT+ identifying students could have a safe space to express themselves. A prom do-over, where the night was just as magical as the theme promised.

The Tie-Dye and Fries fundraiser followed, where proceeds of burgers, fries, and chicken nuggets sold all went to the Trevor Project. Aside from food, the event also featured music on Alpha Theta co-ed and, as the name promised, tie-dying tutorials (we all bonded by guessing our way through it together). People painted their hands with the colors of the Pride flags they identified with, leaving this beautiful banner below.

Keynote speaker Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza led a discussion on “The Intersections of Queer Justice and Anti-Racism” in the Shabazz Mural Room. There was a dance Voguing workshop today, and events such as Rainbow Roller-skating, a Jaboukie Young-White comedy show, Transform performances, a Moonlight screening, and Lavender Graduation to give LGBT+ identifying Dartmouth students a final celebration to culminate their college career.

Being on the programming team for Pride 2019 has been an absolute joy for me, and I’m so happy to see these events come together. Here’s to celebrating love in all its forms.

Love is love, and everyone should be welcome to be themselves.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?