Wellness > Mental Health

The Perfect Nighttime Routine You Need To Relax In Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

I have a horrible habit of watching Netflix until I fall asleep. It is one of those guilty pleasures. I know that it is bad for me for a variety of reasons (blue light of technology before bed and quality sleep do not mix well).

To solve my issue, I am trying a new nighttime routine before going to sleep. Here it comes:

About an hour before going to sleep, I turn off my laptop. I then brush my teeth, remove my makeup, cleanse my face and put on lots of moisturizer to beat the winter dehydration.

I then use the app “Headspace” that I have previously talked about in other articles to mediate for ten to twenty minutes. They have many different packets and I am currently trying the “Sleep”-packet that is not designed to help you fall asleep but to help you achieve more quality sleep.

After meditating, I then turn off my phone and go to bed, where I read a book until I fall asleep.

Changing your routines can be extremely helpful in maximizing your time and happiness. So, think about how you can change up your routine! My change of routine has defintiely helped improve my mood!  

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.