This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

What do you mean, you don’t eat meat? No fish? No eggs? No milk? No cheese? WHAT DO YOU EAT? 

Oh so many times, I get to answer these questions – but it is a choice I made: to eat a plant-based diet. I am not going to get into all the reasons why I chose this diet, but I will give you an insight and what I eat in a typical day. 

Breakfast

In the mornings, I usually work out and afterwards, I am always looking forward to my breakfast that is usually one of three things:

• Oatmeal with coconut yoghurt, flax seeds, almond butter, frozen berries and maple syrup

• Protein pancakes. For this, I blend together one banana, ½ cups of oats, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, a bit of vanilla extract, ½ teaspoons baking powder, ¼ tablespoon of salt, ¼ cup almond milk and a scoop of protein powder. Then, I sometimes like to add some frozen raspberries that I heated up in the microwave as a sauce to it, if I have the time. 

• Tofu scramble (I have actually never tried to make it myself, but I have been getting the one from Collis and one day, I will try to make it myself!) 

Lunch

My lunch usually consists of leftovers from the previous day. I do not meal prep all my food on one day of the week, but whenever I do make myself something for dinner, I make bigger portions and then either store the food in the fridge or even in the freezer, so I can heat it up later. This saves me so much time and I still get to eat healthy food!

Dinner

So what do I make for dinner? 

• Curry. There are tons of vegan curry recipes out there and you can get really create with them and it is so easy to make them vegan, since the only things that do not make them vegan are usually fish sauce and meat. I just do not use fish sauce and sometimes, I will add some tofu to add extra protein. 

• If I need a quick and easy dinner, I will just make some pasta (usually either Barilla’s plant-based protein plus pasta or some lentil/chickpea pasta) with tons of veggies and tomato sauce. This one is such a quick dinner that will still give you your nutrients from the veggies and even some protein from the pasta. 

• Another one of my favorite are grain bowls. For this, I cut up whatever veggies are in season right now (from carrots to potatoes to squash to beets) and roast them in the oven with some olive oil, salt and seasonings. Then, I cook some rice or quinoa and mix it all up on a bowl and got myself a nutritious and delicious dinner! 

I hope I inspired you to try some of these recipes, as they are all very easy! Enjoy!

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.
Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.