absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Most annoying questions I get asked as a vegan – and my answers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

I have been eating a plant-based diet for two months now. During that time, I have been getting asked quite a lot of questions – and usually, it is the same questions over and over again. Next time, I might just show them this article so that they can get all their wonderful questions answered! :)

1. They’re gonna kill the animals anyways! You are not totally wrong with that BUT every time I choose to buy almond milk instead of dairy milk or every time I choose NOT to buy a meat burger, it sends a signal to the market. We live in a demand and supply economy – that’s Econ 101! Just look at this shelf of beautiful non-dairy milk that is taking up half of the shelf space! That happened because the market realized that there was demand for it!

2. But what about bacon/cheese/burgers/eggs? Veganism does not feel like a restrictive diet to me, because I am not doing to lose weight or anything along those lines. I truly do not miss any of these options. I just need to think about the reasons why I chose to not eat them and my appetite immediately vanishes.

3. You can eat fish though, right? Uhm… No? That’s also an animal! Plus, overfishing is a thing that I do not really want to support…

4. Where do you get your protein though?! Hmmm where does your food gets its protein from? Plants! There are many wonderful plant options. Plus, have you ever heard of anyone with a protein deficiency?

5. Cows have to be milked though! Sure, they need to get rid of their milk maybe – that’s what the baby cows are for! If they were not forcefully taken away from their mothers after the moms were impregnated just to have a baby just to have milk, then the baby could drink the milk just the way nature intended. :)

6. B12? Ever heard of supplements? :)

7. I only eat organic meat though from happy cows! How good for you! At least that’s a step in the right direction. Unfortunately a MAJORITY of the meat industry is not organic – plus, in the end, all of the cows are killed for humans to eat them either way…

8. Plans can feel pain though, right? Hmmmm, they don’t have a central nervous system, so nooo… Plus, as PETA explains it: “In the U.S. alone, 56 million acres of land are used to grow feed for animals, while only 4 million acres are producing plants for humans to eat.  It takes up to 10 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat.” So, by eating meat, you are actually “killing” even more plants.

9. What do you even eat though? So so so so many wonderful things!

10. If you were stranded on an island and your only food source was animals, would you eat them? If there are animals, then there is food that they eat, so I can eat that?

This list could go on and on, but those were the top 10 answers and my responses! Once again, I am not trying to attack you in any way – I just wanted to give you my perspective on these questions! :) 

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.