This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

I will never stop writing about my found family. They’re a group of friends so close that it’s hard to imagine a time without them. I came out as queer and nonbinary, and without their support, I’m not sure how life would be the same.

They had my back when I didn’t even have my own. That had my back when I came out (accidentally) to my parents. They had my back when I wrestled with the negative feelings that erupted from coming out being a surprise even to myself. (Hence the accidental aspect).

They’ve listened to me laugh. They’ve held me when I cried. They inspire me each and every day to keep going because, without them, I’m not sure where I’d be.

They taught me it was okay to love how I did, to be who I am, and to dream for a future where I could be authentic to myself. They listen to me when I’m feeling down, and they push me to soar even higher when my mood is up. 

They taught me how to be myself, to live with myself, and to be happy with that. 

I’m truly thankful they’re in my life. They taught me that saying “I love you” wasn’t quite as scary as I thought. 

Maybe it’s because I’m graduating, and sentimentality is a stunner. But I will always hold my found family in a special place in my heart.

Always.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?