Dartmouth Study Spots Described in GIFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

As finals/midterms come around the corner, here’s an explanation of Dartmouth’s study spot. A tale told in fabulous GIFs. 

FFB:

First floor Berry. People live in here. They eat at Novack café (sandwiches, Hot Pockets, and bagels, anybody?) But you don’t get so much studying done… People tend to mix and mingle more than they read, and it’s more social than studying.

Third Floor Berry:            

It’s a tomb. Perhaps it’s the insane amount of stairs to get here, but it’s as quiet a spot as you’ll get in Berry-Baker Library.

The Black Visual Arts Center, aka BVAC:

Fondly described as “the fishbowl” because the entire room is covered in sheets of wall-length glass, this study spot tends to be inhabited solely by the digital arts, film, and other artistic majors. Most rooms break off into sub-sections for artist studios and editing labs, and the comfy red couches are the best. Negatives: you have to take a five-minute walk to get food as there aren’t even any vending machines in the BVAC. Bonus: MAAANY empty bathrooms.

Collis

You will never want for food if you choose Collis as a study place. The café, with smoothies and stir fry and tons of salads/cold freezer options allows you to fuel up before hitting the books. Considering it’s the center for student life, though, your study rooms might be taken over by organization meetings or giant events.

Sanborn              

It’ll make you feel like you travelled back in time to the 1920s with a beautiful poetry room from the Victorian era. Surrounded by sky-high shelves filled with books and oil paintings, it’s a safe spot to warm your hands in the freezing winter. Unfortunately, it’s also the hottest during summer, and will make you envy the ghosts. (Dead Poets Society, anybody?)

LSC = Life Sciences Center

So. Far. Away. Notorious for breaking many a STEM major’s spirits, the Life Sciences Center is a little under a mile trek from BVAC. (Balance your art and STEM classes wisely, kids.) Spacious auditoriums and extremely clean laboratories, no food options either. There are, however, vending machines. Slightly grim.

YOUR DORM

You’ll know this one. If your roommates/floormates/housemates aren’t too noisy, it’s actually not that bad a space to study. Any snacks or amenities have to be provided by yours truly, of course, but at least you know where everything is. BONUS: You’re SO much closer to your bed. NEGATIVE: You’re so much closer to your bed…

Happy studying! J

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?