The 8 SCARIEST Phrases To Hear As A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

College is a scary time. Halloween is a scary time. Thus, college during Halloween is the ultimate scary time! Here are some of the scariest phrases you might hear during your college career. (How many more times can I say “scary” in a sentence?)

1. “Your essay has to be single-spaced.”

What do you mean? Why does a professor think that this is a good idea?

2. “That homework was really difficult. Were you able to finish it?”

Uhmm… We had homework?

3. “Eduroam disconnected.”

This happens too often… I just want to watch my Netlfix… Uhm, I mean, do my research! 

4. “45% of your grade will be this group assignment.” 

That could be fun, right?

5. “Groups will be randomly assigned!” 

I take that back. That will not be fun. 

6. “Do you have any plans for next winter/summer/after graduation?”

I don’t even know what I am having for dinner, so I definitely do not know what I am doing with my life. 

7. “Surprise quiz!” 

Torture. Pure torture…

8. “Your exam will be Monday morning. Yes, I know that is the day after Homecoming weekend. I am sorry – that is just how the schedule works out.”

You couldn’t have just moved the exam to Friday? Now I have to study all weekend… At this point, I just admit defeat…

These were some of the scariest phrases I could think of. Can you think of any others? 

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.