This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

Submission by Emily Wang ’22

Winter term at Dartmouth is filled with snowy days and subzero temperatures. It seems like every day you walk through a flurry of snowflakes or slosh through the remnants of last night’s blizzard. Despite the inconveniences and the ever present danger of wiping out, snow can help create some of your most memorable experiences. Here are 7 ways to make the most of this winter’s snow: 

1. Go skiing or snowboarding 

The Dartmouth Skiway offers a wide range of slopes only twenty minutes from campus. Buy a season pass if you plan on going regularly. Don’t know how to ski? No problem! Sign up for ski lessons and earn PE credit in addition to learning a new skill.

2. Have a snowball fight

There’s nothing better than a lively snowball fight with your friends. The campus-wide snowball fight may be over, but there’s nothing stopping you from starting an impromptu one the next time it snows. 

3. Build a snowman

Another childhood classic! Whether you keep it simple or go all out in dressing your snowman, this fun-filled activity is sure to bring back good memories. 

4. Go for an early morning walk

The morning after a blizzard, wake up before most people go to class. Walk over to the Green and admire the expanse of pure whiteness, unspoiled by footprints and tire tracks. Even if you’re not a morning person, I promise the view will be worth it.

5. Feeling adventurous? Go on a winter hike

While winter hikes can be more challenging, they reward you with one-of-a-kind views of snowy landscapes. Just be sure to stay safe! Check out the DOC for more information and planned trips.

6. Stay in and watch the snow from a window

If you prefer to stay warm and cozy, you don’t have to go outside to enjoy the snow. There’s something special about curling up in an armchair with a good book or movie, sipping hot cocoa as snowflakes fall outside the window.

7. Enjoy every moment in the snow

Whenever you find yourself outside in the snow, take the time to enjoy it. Look around and appreciate its beauty, how it flutters softly to the ground and paints trees white and feathery. Ditch the hats and umbrellas and experience the sensation of snowflakes brushing your skin. Embrace the snow. Dance in it. Taste it as it falls on your tongue.

Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.